Thursday, January 24, 2013

From Miss to Mrs: Fun with Family

After taking photos with the bridal party, we continued taking formal portraits with family. My goal was to take as many photos before the ceremony as possible, that way everyone could enjoy as much of the reception afterwards as possible.
00245
Both of our families
We started with photos of both of our immediate families. And since I was always curious about color coordinated family portraits, I never really told anyone what I wanted them to wear. From our invitations (and likely blog posts) my MIL and my grandmothers knew our colors and it all coordinated.
00246
With the boy's family
If you're planning a wedding, I don't think you need to act "bridzilla" and demand everyone wear a specific color or color theme. Your relatives may surprise you. Although if you don't feel you can trust your current or future family to pick out their own clothes, you might be dealing with another issue.
00250
With the boy's parents
A few weeks before the wedding I met with out photographer and gave her a lists of photos I wanted. One that list were things like Bride & Father, Bride & Groom with Bride's Father, Groom with Parents, Bride & Groom with Parents, Groom with Sister, Bride with Brother, etc... Except the day of the wedding we didn't get everyone single option listed.
00252
With my dad & brother
Looking back, do I regret not having every single option? Not really. All the people I wanted photos of, I have. I just may not have every single combination possible. And in the big scheme of things, does it really matter? Just what will you be using all those photos for anyways?
00255
With my grandmothers
I'm in no way trying to say this was the fault of my photographers. Out of everyone they were the ones saying, "You didn't take every combination you wanted. Are you sure you want to finish?" But it was so hot outside (after all this was Louisiana in the middle of the summer), and I knew we got the important ones.
00260
With my paternal grandmother
00257
With my maternal grandmother
The plantation was open for tours the day of our wedding, which meant up till now we hadn't been inside the actual home. But as we wrapped up family photos, we were finally able to head inside to cool off.
00262
And of course to take a few more couple photos at the bottom of the staircase.
00265
I loved the idea of these photos, especially since I think this staircase is awesome. (I even posted a photo of it here, the first time I visited Houmas House.) I just think it's so amazing that someone was able to build such a perfect spiral staircase in the 1800s.
00269
But even though I love the idea of these, I can admit they do look a little awkward. Although I think at this point in the day we were a little photo-ed out.
00271
What are your thoughts on color-coordinated family photos? And if you're married (or are getting married) what colors did (or will) you tell you family members to wear, if anything?

All photos in this post courtesy of Sabree Hill Photography.

Miss a Recap Post?
From Miss to Mrs: The Calm Before the Storm
From Miss to Mrs: There's a Hurricane Coming?
From Miss to Mrs: Here Comes Isaac
From Miss to Mrs: Weathering the Cane
From Miss to Mrs: After the Storm
From Miss to Mrs: Trials and Tribulations
From Miss to Mrs: The Last Errands
From Miss to Mrs: A Night on the Town
From Miss to Mrs: The Hangover
From Miss to Mrs: Rehearsing in the Heat
From Miss to Mrs: The Last Single Supper
From Miss to Mrs: Gifting the Girls
From Miss to Mrs: The Last Single Night
From Miss to Mrs: Oh What a Beautiful Morning
From Miss to Mrs: Getting Prettified
From Miss to Mrs: Prepping the Plantation
From Miss to Mrs: Turtle Time
From Miss to Mrs: The Photographer Has Arrived
From Miss to Mrs: Becoming the Bride
From Miss to Mrs: Dress Details
From Miss to Mrs: Ou Est le Groom?
From Miss to Mrs: A Bridge-y First Look
From Miss to Mrs: Couple Time
From Miss to Mrs: Just the Two of Us
From Miss to Mrs: Grouping the Girls
From Miss to Mrs: Ain't No Party Like a Bridal Party

2 comments:

  1. My mother and MIL wound up wearing similar colors. I think it's because I told MIL what color my mom was wearing. And that staircase is fabulous. Some magazine quality photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the staircase photos!!! That house looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete