Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Christmas Eve Cookin'

I mentioned in my Christmas Eve post that I made a Black Russian Cake. This is basically the only cake the boy will ate (I think because there's enough alcohol to counteract the sugar), and he's been complaining for a while that I've been making desserts without making one he'd enjoy. Since his birthday is actually December 23, I thought this could act as both a birthday and Christmas cake. Something that I'm sure he's all to familiar with. I asked my MIL for the recipe she uses, although if you google Black Russian Cake, you'll find fairly similar results.

The Boy's Black Russian Cake
DSC07779
Ingredients
1 box yellow cake mix
1 small (4 serving) pkg. chocolate instant pudding
1/4 cup vodka
1/4 cup Kahlua
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1 cup oil
3/4 cup water
1 to 2 tablespoons Kahlua
Powdered sugar

(You could also include pecans, but the boy said he'd prefer it without them.)
Directions
DSC07780
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together except final tablespoons of Kahlua and powdered sugar.
DSC07781
2. Add to a prepped bundt pan
DSC07782
3. Bake for 45-50 minutes.
DSC07786
4. Cool slightly and turn upside down on cake platter. Drizzle lightly with the 1 to 2 tablespoons of Kahlua.

(I went all the way with 2 tablespoon, plus a an extra dash to top it off.)
DSC07788
5. Just before serving, dust with powdered sugar.
(Except you'll notice I didn't actually use the powdered sugar. The boy said he'd prefer it without, and since I was making it for him I left it off. Although if I wanted it just for me I'd probably add it.)

As for the final verdict? The boy claimed it was a little too strong, although I think that's ridiculous. And honestly, think an extra tablespoon or so from here couldn't hurt things. And know that I know how easy it is to make, and how much the boy enjoy this, I'm thinking I'll be making it more often.

Does your significant other have a favorite dessert? If so, how often do you make it for them?

5 comments:

  1. Zach's favorite cake is Black Forest, and I usually make it for his birthday--though last year he wanted an ice cream cake. We're equal opportunists when it comes to dessert, so I usually only make BF cake for his special day!

    I think we will have to try yours soon though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom makes this cake, it is so yummy.

    My husband loves sweets in general though his favorite thing is a funfetti cake. I don't know why but he loves that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so pretty. Probably prettier with the powdered sugar. ;) I may have to try this one some day but will need a pan like yours to make it look as nice.

    My hubby's favorite- carrot cake or double chocolate oatmeal cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO excited that you posted this!!! I am going to go out and get the ingredients to make this tonight!

    ReplyDelete