Thursday, January 17, 2013

Good Morning Vietnam

Flesh by Khanh Ha
Based on the cover and the description I thought this would be one that I was glad to have read, but couldn't quite say I enjoyed. Except while there were a few unpleasant parts, overall I loved this book, and think it is quite an enjoyable tale.

Going into this I knew very little of Vietnam's history, and now that I've finished I feel like I know even less. I don't mean this story taught me nothing, but more that it opened me up a world I didn't know, and made me realize just how much I am unaware of. And while this story did teach me about life in Vietnam in the early 1900s, so much of it is timeless and the overall story of growing up and falling in love, really is universal.

There was a pretty big twist at the end that I never expected, and I'm still not to sure how I feel about it. I expected something else, and definitely wish my prediction had been correct. I was a little sad to have this one end, because I wanted to keep reading Tai's story, and am still very curious as to what happened after the book ended.

The book definitely wasn't what I expected, which is a good thing because I loved it so much more than I thought. There were a few scenes that were a bit confusing, but even with that I would whole-heatedly recommend this one.

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through Virtual Author Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

  1. I'll keep an eye out for this one. I'm looking to read more historical fiction set in Asia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking part in the tour. I'm so glad you loved Flesh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sincere thoughts and down-to-earth descriptions make it a truly pleasing read. I’m glad, very glad, that you liked the book enough to recommend it to your readers.

    ReplyDelete