Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Meals, Moments, Reviews, & Remembering in October

Every month Lisa does a post called "Music, Books, Miles, & Looks" which I've always loved, where she recaps the previous month. I've been wanting to do something similar for a while now, but the prompt just didn't work for me. After all I'm not really a music person. I don't run. And I'm not big on putting a lot of effort into my outfit. Except last month, Amber took the prompt and made it her own calling it "Meals, Books, Miles, & Looks" which set off a light bulb moment for me. I could take Lisa's original idea, and teak it a little based on my current interests. So presenting the first inaugural "Meals, Moments, Reviews, & Remembering"

Meals
I'm not normally a big fan of broccoli, but for the first time the boy & I tried out roasted broccoli. In general, I'm a fan of roasted vegetables, so I thought it would be fun to try. The boy was a little skeptical, but after googling to make sure it could be done, we threw some broccoli along with carrots into the oven to try it out.
Roasted Carrots & Brocoli
And it wound up being delicious. I think we went through half of the broccoli by sneaking bites before the chicken was eaten cooked. I still wouldn't list broccoli on a list of vegetables I enjoy, but if I have to eat it, this is how I want it cooked. And it's definitely something we'll be trying out again.

Moments
The big moment of the past month had to be my 28th birthday. Also, speaking of upcoming moments I'm planning on joining NaBloPoMo for November. Which means you can expect a post on From L.A. to LA everyday for the next month! At least assuming I make it through.

Reviews
This past month I reviewed the following books...
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Secrets of a Jewish Mother by Gloria Kaen, Lisa Wexler, and Jill Zarin
Against My Will by Benjamin Berkley
Divergent by Veronica Roth

and movies.
Looper
Frankenweenie
Here Comes the Boom
Cloud Atlas

Out of them all my favorite would have to be Frankeweenie, although both Divergent and Gone Girl aren't far behind.

Remembering
One year ago today I was flying back to Louisiana after visiting my mom in the hospital. Which means that one year and one day ago is the last time I saw my mom awake and alive. What a year it's been...

Do you do any type of monthly recap post? If so, what do you highlight in those posts? Or if not, what would you highlight in such a post?

1 comment:

  1. Oh fun! I am glad you are tweaking this and playing along! It was fun to read and I'm glad you found a way to make it work for you, like Amber did!

    Oh man, that remembering part is sad. :( It seems odd that all of that happened just over a year ago. I still vividly remember exchanging emails and the shock of finding out you lost your mom. :...(

    ReplyDelete