Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday Social (6) - Book Style

I'm loving linking up with A Complete Waste of Makeups's Sunday Social, but when I saw that this week theme was books I need I had to link up no matter what. So let's get going!
1. Favorite childhood book
I've posted about this topic here, here, and here, so I could easily repeat those posts. But since I have so many book loves I wanted to share something new.

Time Windows by Kathryn Reiss
I loved this book and read it over and over. It's about a girl who moves to a new house and discovers a dollhouse replica of the house in the attic. But when she looks into the dollhouse she's able to see scenes that happened in the house in years past, specifically in Victorian time or during World War II. There's certain small aspects of this I can't forget, like when she laughs at a bumper sticker saying, "Honk if you love Cheeses" or that the little Victorian girl hated tomatoes. There is a somewhat of a sequel to this called Pale Phoenix, which I also read a number of times, but still isn't as loved by me as Time Windows.

2 . Favorite Book lately
I absolutely LOVED The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. It's a historical fiction that takes place in Ancient Israel on Masada. I read this one really quickly, and can't wait to read it again.

3. Book you wish you could live in
The first book that came to mind here for me, and I know a lot of people, is Harry Potter. And while I would love to live in that world I wanted to come up with something else as well. While it's what I think to be a somewhat odd choice, I'm going with The Last Summer (of You & Me) by Ann Brashers. This has nothing to do with the story itself, but the idea of going to a summer house every summer growing up. I think it would be so much fun to grow up having that summer tradition, and love the idea that they go back and see their summer friends ever year. In a way it's kind of like the Jersey Shore, but a little more upscale or family friendly.

4. If you could be any character from a book who would it be and why?
Without a doubt, Betsy from the Betsy-Tacy series. Betsy just seem to have the best high school experience with such a great group of friends. Yes, she endured a little heartbreak, as do we all, but in the end it all worked out for her.

5. Favorite Book turned Movie?
I feel like there's two ways you could interpret this question, and depending on how you would do it my answer would be different. For a favorite book that has been turned into a movie, It would have to be Gone with the Wind. But for favorite movie based on a book, it would be A Little Princess.

6. Favorite Magazines
My magazine reading has gone downhill lately. I think I have an entire year of Glamours I haven't read plus an issue or two of Martha Stewart Weddings I didn't get to before the wedding. But the one magazine I still actually make time for is Entertainment Weekly.

If you haven't liked up to Sunday Social yet (what are you waiting for?), let me know you answers to a question or two in the comments. And if you have linked up, please let me know so I can stop by!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite childhood book is "Charlotte's Web." Thanks for the recommendation on the Alice Hoffman book. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love Entertainment Weekly! I always look at it the moment it comes.

    ReplyDelete