Monday, October 8, 2012

Back From the Dead

Frankenweenie
Growing up my mom and I used to love watching Tim Burton's original Frankenweenie when it played on Disney channel. My mom even recorded it so we could watch it whenever we wanted. So we were both excited when we heard that Tim Burton was turning his short into a full length animated movie a la Nightmare Before Christmas, which was another favorite in our house.

Last November Entertainment Weekly posted one of the first images from the movie, and I couldn't wait to talk with my mom about it. Except at that point my mom was in the hospital and I couldn't talk to her over the phone. I thought about asking my dad to make sure she saw it, except never did. I guess I just didn't think it was that important. After all she would soon be out of the hospital and we'd have plenty of time to talk about the movie. Except if you're familiar with my story you know that isn't the way it turned out.

With such history there was no way I wasn't going to see this movie the weekend it came out (even with Pitch Perfect and Taken 2 coming out this weekend). And knowing my back story with it no matter what it was going to be emotional for me. But there's this small detail that this movie is about a boy loosing his pet dog and bringing him back from the dead. So is it any surprise that I wound up crying at 3 or 4 different parts in this?

Emotions aside, I really did like this movie. While I do remember loving the original, I don't remember all the details, but the movie did hit the parts I remember. Being a cartoon it is a kids' movie, except it definitely is for more mature kids, which makes it difficult for it to find an audience.

If you loved the original, than I think you have to see this. Or if you're a fan or kid-type movies, than I think you'll enjoy this one as well. For me, I do think this is one that I'll want to own when it finally makes it to dvd.


No comments:

Post a Comment