Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Spymaster Chronicles

The Tudor Conspiracy by C.W. Gortner
Published:
July 16, 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin
Series: The Spymaster Chronicles #2
Since I wasn't a huge fan of the first in this series, I wasn't so sure about this one. But thankfully, my biggest complaints of the first weren't an issue this time, and I was able to enjoy myself so much more.

In Brendan Prescott's first adventure I was disappointed by how little mystery there was, especially since it was supposed to be about a spy. It felt like all you needed what a good background on history, and you knew what to expect each chapter. Except this time, while you know that Queen Mary isn't going to behead her sister Princess Elizabeth, the path to that point is a little unclear. There are several minor characters introduced, and with each you're never quite sure whether which characters are actually trustworthy, at least until it's made clear to Prescott as well.

It is interesting reading from the perspective of a male character as so much historical fiction is female based. Especially since Prescott does make some decisions that are seemingly "so male," but it is kind of fun to see what how he gets there.

I've read some reviews by others who haven't read theThe Tudor Secret first, that don't think it's necessary for understanding this second one. I think reading it would give you a better idea of the characters, but within a few chapters you'd probably be sorted out. If you're at all familiar with Tudor history, I would go straight to this since it is a fun adventure shows shows Queen Mary's reign from a different point of view than you're used to. Plus the author's notes makes mention of a third book, and I can't wait to see what period that will cover, and what adventures await!

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment