Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Mortal Movie

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
When I first heard they were turning these books into movies, I was so excited to see how it would turn out. And then I started seeing the previews, and thought it looked like a cheesy mess. Thankfully though, I thought the actually movie fell in between those expectations, not awful but not as amazing as it could have been.

There were a few differences from the book as expected, but overall there weren't as many as there could have been. Although it's been over 3 years since I read the book so there could be details I'm forgetting. Especially since I even thought they left out the rest of the Lightwoods, but they're aren't actually in the first book, so it makes sense they wouldn't be in the movie either.

As for the ending, I was really afraid they were going to change it (a la The Golden Compass), but thankfully it's still in there. Although they do add an extra line in to give you a better idea of the truth. Part of me understands why they did it, but still, I would have rather had the crazy cliffhanger.

If you're a fan of this series, I think you'll appreciate this adaption. I think it would be hard to fall in love with the story if you haven't read the books, but I could see the movie convincing people to pick the books up. Hopefully though, they decide to continue the series, although even better in my opinion would be if they decide to make The Infernal Devices into a movie.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one in theaters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try to see this over the weekend. I've read the books and really liked them.

    ReplyDelete