Friday, July 5, 2013

A True Life Fairy Tale

William & Catherine by Andrew Morton
Published
: May 17th, 2011 by St. Martin's Press
Almost two years ago I was dying to read one of the newly published books on Will & Kate. I decided on Christopher Andersen's version, and hated it. The whole thing felt so gossip-y and I hated how the couple was referred to as Babykins and Big Willie over and over again. It left a bitter taste in my mouth and left me hesitant to try any of the others. If only instead I had picked up Andrew Morton's version instead.

This is the Will & Kate book I was looking for! To start with the entire thing is in color on photo paper with at least one picture on each two page spread, if not more. The entire book is gorgeous and feels like a keepsake. Plus there's photos of their wedding, since it wasn't published till afterwards. (Plus, what's fun are the other historical wedding photos of the monarchy.)

This books also feels legitimate. There isn't gossip that feels straight out of a tabloid. Instead, there are actually a number of quotes, by William specifically, where I can place the exact interview it came from. Although since such a point was made to be factual there isn't a ton of information here. While we know some information about the Duke and Duchess' relationship, we don't know the intimate details. And rather than speculate, we're just given the somewhat limited facts known.

I may be a little British Monarchy obsessed, but I loved this book! I easily see this one on a place on honor on my bookshelf for years to come. (Although part of that is because it's so pretty, and I think makes a great coffee table book.) I am so glad I decided to give a book on their relationship another chance, especially with their baby due in the next few weeks! Definitely a perfect time to read this one in my opinion.

4.5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

7 comments:

  1. I just can't get interested in the current British royal family. I feel like our country fought a war to get away from these people, so we shouldn't have to care. However, I can be enticed to watch a movie about them if it involves Colin Firth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this review! You have developed such a great voice for critiquing books and film. A possible future career perhaps? Love ya Shosh. Ooh and some fun coincidences between my family and the Middletons: Duchess Catherine was born the same date, same year as my brother. Her middle name is my first name (oh, and the Queen's name as well, but that is neither here nor there). Finally, her mother and my mother are both Carole, same spelling :) i told my mom that it was pretty much the fates' dice roll that Gordon wasn't the next Queen of England!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have more recently been allies than adversaries with England, however (in response to Erin). But like Shoshanah I am a sucker for this kind of stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book! There is another great book written about them that is great too. It's on my goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Babykins and Big Willie? That is HORRIBLE. I love Kate so I might check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo this looks right up my alley. I am sucker for this Royal couple,they seem to genuine and in love and normal :) i am so anxious for their baby to be born lol

    happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how normal they seem! Something you wouldn't necessarily expect considering how un-normal life Prince Charles is. And yes, can't wait to hear if the baby's a boy or girl, or what name they pick. I guess any day now!

      Delete