Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Not the Chocolate

Godiva By Nicole Galland
Published
: July 2, 2013 by William Morrow Paperbacks
Before I started reading this I wanted to love it, but as I got into it I wasn't sure that would be the case. The first 100 pages felt extremely slow. There were so many different characters introduced, I started to feel a little lost. But thankfully once you become familiar with the cast and the reason for Godiva's famous ride is apparent, it read much quicker and I really enjoyed myself.

The only other book I remember reading that takes place in this time period (England in the 1000s), was The Keeper of the Crystal Spring by Naomi & Deborah Baltuck. My mom loved that one and passed it on to me. I loved it as well, and read it over and over throughout college. I was hoping these books would have a similar feel, and while they are very different books, the world itself felt similar. I think this is such an interesting period, especially in regards to women rights. The period is before a lot of reform in the church, and partly for that reason, females had far more rights at this point in history than they would 500 years afterwards.

Speaking of history, I do wish there was some type of historical note as to which elements of the story were based on truth. (Although since I read an ARC, it is possible the final published version does contain something.) But with that said, I know our records from this period are limited, so I have to imagine most of the events or details are based on speculation.

I do think this book is worth checking out, especially is your at all curious to the real Lady Godiva or this period in history. You do need some patience with it, since it doesn't really "get good" until the final two thirds of the books, but I think sticking it out is more than worth it.

Edited: The author did actually reach out to me to let me know there is a historical note in the book, and was kind enough to send me a copy. It's exactly what I was looking for, and am happy to see it isn't actually missing in the final version.

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

4 comments:

  1. The beautiful cover caught my eye. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post title made me laugh out loud. Sounds like this book has both strengths and weaknesses. Thanks for your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed this one once you got into it!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book includes a historical epilogue that provides more information on the actual Lady herself, but it was't included in the arc. The final book will have it, though.

    ReplyDelete