Monday, July 29, 2013

More Magical Hats

Tilda Pinkerton’s Magical Hats by the Red Tractor Mailbox by Angela Shelton
Published:
April 1, 2013 by Quiet Owl Books
First Published: September 7, 2012
After really enjoying my first Tilda book, I was quick to jump on to review my second. Although this isn't really a sequel, since the one prior was a Middle Grade book (taking place on the planent Ooleeoo), while this is meant for elementary school aged children (and takes place back on Earth).

First, judging the book by its appearance, it looks awesome. At the start of each chapter, and a few places throughout, there a pictures meant to be colored in. There's even a note on the first page saying "You can color in this book too! (if it belongs to you)" to let kids they really are supposed to color the pages in. Each chapter also ends with a list of "Bigger Words" and with their definition in a glossary at the book's end.

As for the story itself, it is awfully cute. It actually reminds me of one of my favorites from my childhood Miss Rumphius, with the desire to make the world into a more wonderful, beautiful place.

I do think the conflict resolution here isn't the most believable, but I guess it does work for a children's book. Clearly I'm not the intended audience here, but I still had fun, and would be happy to pass this on or recommend it to any parent I know.

4/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through Virtual Author Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking part in the tour. I'm so glad you enjoyed Tilda Pinkerton's Magical Hats.

    ReplyDelete