Friday, July 26, 2013

One Choice Can Destroy You

Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Published:
May 1, 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books
Looking back on Divergent, I remember enjoying it but don't feel a huge obsession about it. Of course rereading my review it seems it was there, but being almost a year since I read it over a day or two, it isn't that clear in my mind. At least it wasn't till I started the sequel, and got wrapped up in the world again and remembered that yes, it is worth obsessing.

Reading this at first I was a little disappointed that there couldn't be as much world building as the first. Except the more I got into it, the more I realized it's there, just more subtly. While the first book showed us Abnegation and Dauntless factions in great detail, this time we're able to see inside Amnity, Candor, and Erudite. Maybe not all at once, but piece by piece the factions come alive.

I also thought Tris and Four relationship in this was really interesting. There are so many up and downs, and its interesting to see how their relationships evolves through it. Also, normally in a book like this it feel the characters are kept apart by created circumstances. And while there is a bit of that here, since it's told from Tris' point of view, you can't always figure out exactly what to make of Four.

If I have any complaint about this (which I don't really), is how much happened in it. Looking back it almost feels like reading 3 different book with how many changes there are. And of course there's the cliffhanger, which while you saw it coming, still was shocking. To the point that as soon as it ended I was on my phone looking up information, trying to make sense of it. Thankfully, the third book, Allegiant comes out this fall so we won't have to wait long to have those questions answered!

5/5

Don't forget to enter my giveaway for a $50 Shabby Apple giftcard.

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the last book in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, so good!! I agree, there were a lot of changes but I still loved it, cliffhanger and all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been enjoying this series and can't wait to see how it wraps up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to come back and read this review later. I'm still waiting on this one from my library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - talk about a book with non-stop action! And that last page was a real jaw-dropper. I'll be eagerly waiting for 'Allegiant.'

      Delete
  5. Twitter was so crazy for this series! I still haven't tried them out, but I haven't read Hunger Games either ha. Behind the times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Insurgent - cannot WAIT for Allegiant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't either! At least we don't have that much longer to wait.

      Delete