Monday, November 26, 2012

Rise of the Breaking Pi

Rise of the Guardians
When I first starting seeing previews of this movie I thought it looked cheesy, and like one I wouldn't want to see. But I wound up being pleasantly surprised by this; it may have even drawn a tear or two.

One thing I found really interesting is that this wasn't based on an already published book series. Instead the author had, and was able to get a movie studio to make it into a movie while she was writing the books. Each is slightly different, since neither was based on the other. Instead they each tell stories of The Guardians, and by doing it this way you didn't have to worry about the movie living up to the books. An interesting idea, but one that you probably won't see that often since you'd have to have a lot of faith in the author to do it.

Breaking Dawn: Part 2
These movies seems to have gotten a lot of backlash lately, which is funny because when it first started getting big it didn't seem so cheesy. I feel like a lot of fans have moved onto other franchises (Hunger Games mainly), but I still love Edward and the Twilight story.

I really loved this one. And thought the movie flew by. I could hardly believe when it was time for it to end, and while it was a little disappointed it was over, I absolutely loved the way it ended. I remember reading an interview with Kristen Stewart where she said something like the end of the movie is definitely for long term fans, and while I had no idea what she was talking about then, it's a perfect description.

Life of Pi
I hadn't read the book coming into this. From the previews I thought I knew what to expect, but while there were bits I expected, most of it took me by surprise. I may have needed the boy to explain the ending to me, but I think even without his help I would have enjoyed this.

Then of course there's the fact that this is so visually stunning. We saw it in 3-D, at the Arclight in Hollywood, in the Cinerema Dome. And if there's ever a movie that desires that ultimate treatment this is it. I don't know that I'm dying to watch it again, but I loved the experience of seeing it. And also don't see how watching this on the couch at home could compare to our initial viewing.

I think if you're looking for a movie to see, you can't go wrong with any of these choices. It really is just a matter of what type of movie you're in the mood for. But if I could see one again, without a doubt it would be Breaking Dawn: Part 2.

1 comment:

  1. I read The Life of Pi and I want to see the movie. There are so many movies I want to see. I hoping I'll have more time to see them in December.

    ReplyDelete