Friday, May 18, 2012

His Inheritance

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini
As silly as it may sound, my biggest problem with this book was that it had been so long since I read the rest of the series. I read the third book in the series over 3 and a half years ago, and the first two over 5 years ago. I remember the basic story, and the book did include a brief summary of the previous books, but even so, but the end I still couldn't keep the characters straight. Although waiting so long wasn't really my fault, since this one was only published a few months ago. But I do think I would have enjoyed it more if I reread the first three before diving into this one.

My other complaint was that it took me a while to get into the book. Yes, it is a long book and I wasn't expecting it to be quick reading. But even so, I didn't feel like the book really picked up until about halfway through.

Even with these complaints I did still really enjoy this book. I thought it was a fitting end to an exciting book series. And while everything didn't end up picture perfect, I do think it all made sense for the characters and it definitely completely the story arc.

In the acknowledgments Paolini does hint that he'd love to write more in Eragon's world. I hope he does, because I'd love to pick it up. If you haven't picked up these books yet (or been turned off by the awful movie adaption), I really think they're worth picking up. But don't be like me, and read each book so you can still remember each one before it.

3.5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

4 comments:

  1. I loved Inheritance! I tend to love saga-y type tomes, so this was right up my alley. I really liked how he wrapped up the series but left room for continuation. It was well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent read this series but its on my list and I was pleasantly surprised by the movie, ha :) But I hadnt read any of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember one of my friends was reading Paolini in middle school and I never did get around to reading them. At Christmas, I found the first two at a used bookstore and then shortly after won Inheritance signed by Paolini - so I REALLY need to get onto reading these. I know many people love them :)

    ReplyDelete