Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Bridal Shower Weekend

While I've already posted about the shower, I've yet to post what else I did while in California. So finally here are a few highlights.
With Josh
Sunday we went to the Renaissance Faire which is where my brother is currently working. (At least on the weekend while it's open.) For the first time in forever, I didn't wear a costume to the faire. My costume was (and still is in Louisiana) and while I thought about flying it back with me, I decided not to. But even costume-less we still had a great time. We saw the queen,
DSC06769
saw a few shows,
DSC06774
and of course, ate!
Steak & Mushroom Shepard's Pie
To start with I had a steak and mushroom pie, which doesn't make for the best picture, but was delicious. Then I had a mango ice. (Hard to tell, but served in a mango peel.)
Mango Ice
Then we all split a royal crepe, which was filled with strawberries, bananas, and nutella, and topped with chocolate sauce and whipped cream.
Royal Crepe
And Monday night, for my last night in California we went to WP24, which is Wolfgang Pucks newest restaurant on the 24th floor of the Ritz Carlton.
View from WP24
View of Downtown L.A. from the restaurant
This wound up being a really interesting restaurant. To start with it, they only offered a fix price meal, but had several options to choose from for each course (as well as a few side options). And while we were deciding what to order they brought out a few small plates for the table.
DSC06787
This is two (of three) small plates. On the left is a fried seafood dish and the right is a pickled cucumber. For my first course I went with peking duck rolls,
Peking Duck
and had some of the best lamb chomps I've ever eaten for my main course.
Lamp Chops
When we got the dessert menus I was surprised to see that Sally Camacho of Top Chef Just Desserts was the pastry chef. Sally was one of my favorites last season, and I was so excited to finally be able to eat official top chef food. While she did have one of her quickfire challenges on the menu (an Ovaltine based dessert) I instead went with her caramel apple themed dessert. It included cinnamon doughnuts, ice cream (if remember correctly it was star anise flavored), plus apples, whipped cream, and of course bits of caramel. (The congrats is because my dad told the waiter I was in town for my bridal shower.)
Caramel Apples
Along with my actual shower it wound up being a great weekend back in California, and all too soon I was back in Louisiana.

And for a little have you ever... Have you ever been to the Renaissance Faire? Or eaten at a Top Chef's restaurant?

4 comments:

  1. I have never been to a Renaissance Fair... or eaten at at Top Chef's restaurant. I'd love to eat at a Top Chef's restaurant some day. Or at Tom Colicchio's! I adore him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a Renaissance fair once! It was so much fun and I got to try archery! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ren Faires. It's been a while since I've been. Those lamb chops look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that food looks divine and what a great view!

    ReplyDelete