Thursday, May 17, 2012

From the Eyes of the Villain

I, Iago by Nicole Gallad
I feel a little embarrassed to admit this, but the only reason I know anything about the story of Othello is from the Josh Harnett & Julia Stiles movie, O. Although this was part of the reason I was excited to read the book, so I could learn more about the actual play but from an unexpected form.

This book is a retelling of Shakespeare's Othello but from the point of view of Iago, the villain. And it isn't the origonal, it is the same story taking place in Italy during the Renaissance (instead of say, a modern day reimaging like O). I did wind up really enjoying this, and captivated throughout. (Although I think Shakespeare probably deserves some of the credit for that.) But I did feel for Iago throughout, which I don't believe you're supposed to get from the actual play.

I do think that I may have been at a disadvantage going into this without knowing a lot of the background. But on the other hand I didn't feel lost, like I was missing important background knowledge. And I also think that not knowing the story may have helped, because I didn't know what to expect so there was still an element of surprise throughout.

I can't really speak for someone who knows (and perhaps loves) Shakespeare's original, but from my point of view, I was most definitely a fan of this. Granted being a historical fiction sent during the Renaissance it's the type of book I love reading normally. But even so, I would easily recommend this one.

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see how much you enjoyed this one! Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete