Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pesto Power

Every since my shower, our extra bedroom, affectionately called the big closest, has been filled with wedding presents. The boy and I were both in agreement that even though they were officially ours, we wouldn't unpack anything till we were actually married. But now that we're officially married the gadgets have come out!
DSC07357
First hiding in the background of this shot is our brand new rice cooker. But front and center we have our food processor about to make some pesto.
DSC07358
The boy looked up a recipe featuring the standard pesto players (basil, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, and pecorino cheese), and got to processing.
DSC07359
The boy will tell you that it didn't come out perfect and that it isn't as good as our go-to pesto brand, but I thought it was pretty close to amazing. Plus there's the fact that our favorite brand has disappeared, so we've be trying out new pestos lately. This one definitely beats the others we've tried, but if he's going to work towards perfecting his recipe I am more then willing to test them out. Plus I'd love to make some try out some variations, maybe adding in roasted red pepper or olives to the mix?
DSC07364
Have you ever tried making pesto? And what do you think would be a fun variation?

6 comments:

  1. I love our food processor! It's a mini one & I keep meaning to get a regular sized one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! We have yet to use all of our new kitchen gadgets. Hopefully once we get moved into our home I can bust them all out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told my husby that we needed to make pesto soon because we have a TON of basil still growing here. Isn't it cool to get gifts for being in love?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been making tons of pesto. I sub almonds or walnuts for pine nuts and I think it tastes yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We recently got a small food processor, and out first recipe was pesto as well! Our first attempt came out a little dry, but we definitely plan on tweaking it a bit! We haven't tried any variations yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so need a food processor. My pesto is very basic... basil, Parmesan and olive oil. I add other spices depending on what I'm using it for.

    ReplyDelete