Saturday, August 13, 2011

Born to Breed

Bumped by Megan McCafferty
I love the premise of this book (basically a virus turns anyone over the age of 18 infertile and how society adapts to this change), except I had heard some negative reviews of this book so I tired to go into it with a bit of an open mind.

Melody was the first of the girls in her high school to sign a contract. That is contract to be a surrogate mother in exchange for a new car, a college scholarship, and well as just the money itself. Except in this world along with the fact that people over 18 can't have children, artificial insemination no longer works either, so in order for her to get pregnant she's going to have to actually "bump" with the chosen sperm donor.

Harmony is her twin sister, from whom she was separated a birth, and her life is completely different. Instead she grew up within a religious scent where there way of dealing with the issue is to marry girls off young so they can have as many children as possible while it's still an option.

I do think the two directions of society in dealing with this change make perfect sense. I still love the idea behind the book, and want to love it, but in some ways it just came off as weird. So many times I felt like laughing, except I'm pretty sure it wasn't at parts meant to be humorous. So much of the book just came off as odd to me, and it's a little disappointing because I still love the idea behind it and think it could have been done so much better.

The book does end with a bit of a cliffhanger and definitely makes me want to read the sequal. While I am glad I finally picked it up, if only to satisfy my curiosity, I'm hoping for more with its sequel.

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment