Tuesday, August 9, 2011

30 Days of Books - Day 2

Day 02 – A book that you've read more than 3 times
I've always loved rereading book so in all honestly there's probably several books that fit this description for me. But I'm going to try to go with one book for each prompt and the book I'm sharing for this one is...
Anne of Green Gables b L. M. Montgomery
Are you surprised? I have a feeling this is probably a book that most people can claim they've read several times. I read it for the first time in 4th grade and it was one of the books (as well as the Little House books) that got me into historical fiction at an early age. I tried to read the whole series at that time, but my 8-year-old self couldn't, get past Anne of Ingleside in which Anne is a married mother and worried that Gilbert is having an affair. Understandable because reading about a marriage wasn't where my head was at that time.

Thankfully I decided to reread the whole series once I got to high school, and I'm glad I did, because while I love the first and original in the series I can't say it's my favorite. Instead I have to say my favorite is the last in the series, Rilla of Ingleside.
Rilla is Anne's youngest daughter, and the book takes place during World War I. Instead of following Anne's point of view, here we follow Rilla and romance. I'm not completely sure why I enjoy this one more than any of the others, but I think it's because it's so much more romantic than the rest of the series.

I do think it's a little amusing that this Anne of Green Gables book, that isn't even really about Anne, is my favorite. Sometimes I wonder who else stuck around and read the entire series to get to this one. And I'm definitely glad I decided to reread the books so I could read Rilla's story.

If it's been a while since you've read this book, and I think especially if you never got through the complete series, I think you should think about picking these up! And let me know, what book you've read more than 3 times. Maybe it's Anne for you too!

6 comments:

  1. Shosh you're going to kill me but I've actually never read ANY of the "Anne of ..." books! The Little House books, on the other hand...LOVED. Little House in the Big Woods was my favorite, because I liked the cozy cabin in the woods setting better than the prairie. I think I finally gave up during or after "These Happy Golden Years."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go back and read these books again. So many books, so little time!

    I think the only book I have read more than 3 times is Tuesdays with Morrie. I usually read it every year or two as it gives you such a great perspective on life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only read the first two I believe. I remember liking them but it has been so long, I dont even remember much of what they were about!

    The only book I think I have ever read three times was "November of the Heart" by Lavyrle Shirley. It was the first "adult" book I ever read and I absolutely loved it. I still think it was one of the best books I have ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Anne books but only read the first 2 or 3. I never knew there were books about her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A book I could read over and over is Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman. It was written in 1947. It is truly a wonderful book and I found used copies on eBay that I have given as a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I loved Anne of Green Gables! I read the first 3 books and loved them! I didn't realize there was more!

    ReplyDelete