Tuesday, February 12, 2013

As American As..

Last weekend with the Super Bowl, I knew I wanted to cook up something fun. Given that football is an American tradition, I thought I'd go with a cake that feels a bit 1950s American to me, a pineapple upside-down cake. After searching through pinterest I discovered this recipe from Creative Culinary, which I loved because not only was it a pineapple upside-down cake it involved alcohol, something else that goes perfect with the Super Bowl. Here's my take on it for you to enjoy as well!
Slice of Cake
Spiced Rum Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Ingredients
DSC07901
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum
20 oz can of sliced pineapple
(I had about 4 slices of pineapple left over, which I snacked on instead.)
Maraschino cherries
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum
3 Tbsp pineapple juice
(From the can of pineapples)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions
1. Preheat the over to 350. Position top rack in center of oven. Add a cookie sheet on the bottom to catch any sugar overflow.
(We had this happen, and let's just say cleaning melted sugar out of your oven is no fun at all!)
DSC07904
2. Melt butter in the cake pan in the preheating oven. Remove from oven and add brown sugar and first tablespoon of rum. Mix well.
DSC07906
3. Arrange pineapple slices and cherries in the pan.
(The cherries I placed near the edges did their best to slice off the cake. So you may want to push them as close to the center as possible.)
DSC07902
4. Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a medium sized bowl.
DSC07908
5. Beat egg whites until peaks form. Remove eggs white to small bowl.
DSC07911
6. Mix eggs yolks and sugar together. Add in rum and juice and mix together. Add in flour mixture and mix together.
DSC07913
7. Fold one part of the eggs whites into the batter.
DSC07914
8. Fold in the rest of the egg whites until just mixed.
DSC07915
9. Add to cake pan spreading to the edges.
(The little pieces of brown sugar peaking through is probably why my sugar mixture overflowed.)
Pineapple Right-Side-Up Cake
10. Bake for 40 minutes, until top is golden brown, and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Place on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
DSC07917
11. Use knife to cut around edge of cake, and invert over a serving plate to enjoy!

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
This wound up turning out really delicious! I would easily make this again, but I'd also love to try other upside-down cake variations. I remember my mom making a plum upside-down cake for me in my off-campus apartment junior year of college that was awesome, so I definitely know there's other variations out there.

Finally since I know you must be curious to the boy's contributions to the meal, he made a dry brined pot roast served with the roasting vegetables and white cheddar mashed potatoes.
Pot Roast, White Cheddar Potatoes
Did you decide to make anything special for the Super Bowl?

6 comments:

  1. I love the addition of rum to the cake. Your dinner looks really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for letting me know you tried this...and certainly happy you loved it too! I do think this is my favorite cake (shh, don't tell German Chocolate tho) and the rum does 'kick it up a notch!' Your meal looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I have fond memories of making pineapple upside down cake for U week in 4 year old nursery school. I can guarantee it didn't have rum though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks wonderful! I am going to have to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, your Super Bowl menu definitely looks better than mine!

    ReplyDelete