Monday, February 18, 2013

Among the Stars

The Promise of Stardust by Priscille Sibley
From the first page of this book I was hooked. We are instantly in the middle of Matt Beaulieu's story as he discovers that his wife is brain dead after a simple accident. But by the chapter's end not only does he learn that his wife is on the brink of death, but that she is also pregnant with a new life inside of her.

I can't remember the last time I wanted to sing a book's praises as much as I do here. Yes, I really I might be gushing a bit, but I fell in love. I sped through this book in barely two days because I had to know how everything would end up. And now that I'm finished, I wish I was still reading.

I think a lot of people will say this book is about the issues, like a Jodi Picoult book. But even though there were many ethical dilemmas within, for me this was a beautiful love story. I can't remember the last time a book made me cry as much as I did with this. I don't mean I cried because everything was so sad, since I was also crying at the happy moments. Although a lot of the happy moments are bittersweet since as you learn about Matt's love story with his wife Elle, you know how it will end.

One subplot that surprised me, was that Elle was an astronaut. (Although it makes sense given the title.) When I was little that was my dream profession, and I love hearing the space story in here. I don't think I've ever read a story with a character who was an astronaut, let alone a story where the fact she's an astronaut isn't her main story.

I almost can't believe I've heard so little about this book before I read this. Yes, it is a bit heartbreaking and it does make you questions your wants and beliefs in certain situations. But I think if you read this, it's won't you won't be able to forget.

5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this book sounds like a heartbreaker! I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed it.

    Thanks for being on the tour. I'm featuring your review on TLC's Facebook page today.

    ReplyDelete