Friday, June 22, 2012

The Story of Queen Anne

Courting Her Highness by Jean Plaidy
I still remember being in 8th grade, in London, seeing a statue of Queen Anne, and our tour guide saying something like, "You American have no idea about our Good Queen Anne." At the time he was right, since I had never heard of her. And since then everytime I learn something else about her I get a little bit excited because I'm proving that tour guide wrong. I have read books that mention Queen Anne, although that took place before her reign. As far as I can tell this is the first book I've read that takes place and describes the events during her actual reign.

To be honest, this book started out a little slow for me. I've loved ever book of Plaidy's I've read and was afraid this would be the first I wouldn't fall head over hells for. But about half way through I got into it, and Plaidy didn't let me down.

I think what confused me at first is that this book isn't like a lot of her others. There's no big romantic affair, there aren't really wars or political intrigue that Queen Anne is really involved with. Instead the courting in the title refers to the courting done by her friends. In fact this book felt a little like high school, with various female (2 in particular, one on whom is actually Princess Diana great-times-a-bunch-grandmother) fighting over who could be the better friend to the Queen.

I love reading Plaidy's books, but I'm sad to notice that they've stopped republishing her books. I'd love to someday read everything she's written, but to do that I may have to start visiting used book stores. But if you haven't read anything by Plaidy I think you'd enjoy this, but probably more after you read the rest of her Stuart series.

5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment