Thursday, May 28, 2009

Triple Review

Normally I wouldn't be posting this many reviews a once. But after not posting this weekend and knowing I'll have yet another movie review to post after tomorrow, this is how its going to have to go. Now you may be surprised, but I didn't actually go see the new Terminator movie this past weekend. So at least something good happened this weekend, and I didn't have to suffer through it.

Night at the Museum - Battle at the Smithsonian
Yes, this movie is technically targeted at kids. But if you haven't seen this or the original you don't know what you're missing out on. Is this better than the original? Not necessarily, but it was still good. A few of my favorite things about it... First is Amy Adams as Amalia Earhart. Although really, I love her in everything she's done. Second are the 3 singing cherubs played by of course, The Jonas Brother. Then I also loved the cameos by Darth Vader and Oscar the Grouch.

What didn't I like? Well, all of the funniest scenes were in the previews. Now if you don't go to the movies a lot and don't see a lot of previews this wouldn't be a big problem. But we do. The the funniest scenes in the movie already seemed to be a bit overplayed to me. Also on a similar note, Seth Rogen's bit in the film? Well again, if you've seen the previews you really since his whole part.

Overall, the movie is a lot of fun and I would definitely say to go see this and the original (if you haven't already seen it.)

Diary of a Mad Bride By Laura Wolf
I read this book over about a 24 hour period this weekend. I wanted something light and easy to distract me from my dead computer and this was it. And it did exactly that. The book was written in a diary type form, which I don't normally like, but didn't seem to mind here. One thing though it that the book felt a little dated. It was written in 2002, and that was pretty evident. Mainly due to the fact the Backsteet Boys were mentioned several times. No don't get me wrong I was ok still am a pretty big Backsteet fan, and it was nice to seem their name in print. But every time I read that, I couldn't help but think, "Wait, when does this take place." Overall, I did enjoy it, and the next time I want a little easy read I'll pick up the sequel.

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
Moving to the complete opposite type of book.. I actually finished this last Thursday, and was planning a long entry on it over the weekend. Clearly, that didn't quite happen but I don't want to forget to write about this.

The briefly summarize, this book is about a 10-year-old Jewish girl in Paris during the Holocaust. During a round up of Jews she decides to save her little brother by locking him in their hiding closest, hence the name of the book, the key to the closest. This is intertwined with the story of a modern day American journalist living in France researching what happened to the Jews in France (specifically Paris) during the Holocaust.

Don't really know what happened to the Jew in France? Well there are some countries, like Denmark, that managed to save most of their Jews. Unfortunately, as much as I love France, it wasn't one of those countries. The Germans basically told the Vichy government that they would need round up their Jews. So the government in France went to all their records and looked up where all the Jew were living, using what should have been somewhat confidential census information. Not only did they turn over the names and addresses, but in some cases the French police themselves went out to homes to find families, and basically send them to camps. Yes, there was a Resistance in France, but overall there wasn't a big fight put up. It is interesting to note that France no longer collects census information such as a person's religion anymore. That way if France were ever put in such a situation again, they wouldn't have the information to give up.

Going back to the actual book. Partly because I am Jewish I have read my fair share of books on the Holocaust. But Sarah's Key I haven't been able to stop thinking about, and honestly there were nights while reading it when I found it hard to go to sleep. Basically, its not a good summer beach read. But if you're looking for something thought provoking this is it.

~Shoshanah

6 comments:

  1. That last book sounds interesting, ill have to check it out!

    I loved the first night at the museum movie an am excited to see this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This DOES sound interesting! I'm looking up online at the library now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dislike it when movie previews are played too much on TV! I've been seeing that a lot, especially if I go and see the movie, and think, "Wow, all the good parts were played on TV. Bummer."

    I thought the first movie was OK. I really want to see the second one, but I have a feeling I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD.

    I have Diary of a Mad Bride and liked it! Isn't there another part to that? Diary of a Mad Mom, I believe...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah's Key sounds like an interesting read. maybe not the perfect beach read, but one to check out. thanks for sharing!

    oh, and I didn't see the first Night at the Museum but the boy has been wanting to see this new one. I haven't paid too much attention to the previews, so hopefully if I get dragged to see it, it will still be funny? haha, here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one of my biggest pet peeves: when the previews reflect the whole movie/the only funny scenes. I actually want to go see terminator (I don't know what's wrong with me either...)

    I can't wait to go see Up though! That looks like such a cute and good movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, I almost saw Night at the Museum last night, but chose Star Trek at the last minute. I liked the first one, so I'll probably Netflix this sequel.

    ReplyDelete