Friday, November 6, 2009

Show Us Your... Thanksgiving Traditions

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner
This week at Kelly's Korner the theme is Thanksgiving traditions. (Can we pause for a second and talk about how its only the first Friday in November and its already time to talk about Thanksgiving? Or that they started showing Christmas commercials November 1st?) But I wanted to participate so here we are.

The tradition I'm sharing isn't so much a family traditions but more a personal one. The past few years I've made a point to take a picture of my Thanksgiving plate. It involves food and taking pictures, two of my favorite things. Did you really expect anything else from me?
My Plate
Thanksgiving 2006
To start off with I have a glass of wine, water and lemon-lime soda. Besides the standards of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and cranberry sauce, we have potatoes, green beans, squash and a roll.

My Plate
Thanksgiving 2007
Again this year it looks like I have three glasses. There's turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes. For vegetables there's green beans and sweet potatoes. There's no cranberry sauce on the plate, but I can guarantee you I ate some. And then there's a roll.

My plate
Thanksgiving 2008
It looks like this year I cute back to two beverage. Of course there's mashed potatoes, stuffing, and turkey. And its kind of hard to tell in the picture, but there's two different kind of turkey on the plate. My parents couldn't agree on how to make the turkey this year so my mom cooked one in the oven and my day cooked one outside on the rotisserie. Keeping with the twos there's both cranberry sauce and cranberry relish on the plate. And we've finished off the plate with green beans.

But you'll notice to the left of my plate it a bowl of duck gumbo that the boy made. We were having Thanksgiving with my family out in California and he said it wouldn't be right without it. So he made gumbo for our meal.

This year we're switching thing and doing Thanksgiving with the boy's parents. It my first time doing Thanksgiving with them and I'm not quite sure what to expect. I've tried to get information out of him, but this is about how our conversations go:

"Do you normally have pumpkin pie?"
"Sometimes"
"What about stuffing?"
"It depends."
"Cranberry sauce?"
"I don't remember."

As you can see from the three meals above our Thanksgiving's don't change very much, so you have a pretty good idea what food you'll be having. His family's.. well who knows. I'll let you know how it all works out in a few weeks. What about you? Do you know what to expect every year at Thanksgiving? Or do you change the food you have from year to year? And of course, if you're looking for more Thanksgiving traditions head over to Kelly's Korner.

~Shoshanah

7 comments:

  1. Yum. I can not wait for Thanksgiving. It is pretty much my favorite meal of the year. This will be my first gluten free Thanksgiving but luckily I am going to a GF Thanksgiving at my aunt's. Her daughter is also GF, and she's going the cooking down to an art form!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha I love the convo you've had with the boy about it, too funny!

    Well Thanksgiving in Canada is already over, boo, makes me so sad since it's one of my FAVOURTE holidays!

    The last TWO years I've been away from home (boo) so me and Eric have had Thanksgiving alone and usually just had chicken since a whole turkey would be way too much for us! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Your family is like mine, a little tweaks here and there but we stay loyal to our food. J's family takes turn hosting turkey day so you NEVER know what is going to be served. Last year was my first time eating with his family and I was like... "Wheres the stuffing??" "Where's the green bean cassarole?" I was very distressed that I couldn't just have my basics. Instead there were all these weird things and I have a really open mind but, J's father likes to experiment and often they don't turn out well.

    I'm eating with my family this year since J will be in NY over thanksgiving. Thank god.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum... Love the idea of taking a pic of your Thanksgiving Day plate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanksgiving is a bigger event for our family than any other in the calendar. The few years when less than two dozen people have been present have been "small" Thanksgivings. One of the things I like about it is that we are actually related to few of the people who come (have been coming for years), so for me it is a real celebration of family, the ones we are born to AND the ones we create.

    In 1978 my mom served a ham instead of a turkey and she STILL hasn't lived it down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this post! gets me excited for thanksgiving dinner! yum :) my family's dinner doesn't change much either, but I love it that way! there's turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, green been casserole (like my fave thing ever at thanksgiving!!), some other veggie for my dad (pearl onions, brown sugar carrots...), cranberry sauce... there's always WAY too much food, my mom goes all out. and the last couple years I bring something out-of-the-ordinary that I make. it's hard to fit it all on a plate!

    then there's dessert, which is usually pumpkin pie and apple pie (since I don't like pumpkin that much). and I always have more than one beverage too! before I drank wine, I would always have sparkling apple cider. so now I alternate :)

    even though you don't know what to expect at the boy's parents' house, I'm sure you will have a fabulous time. sometimes it's nice to switch it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post made me so hungry. I literally want that last plate of food sooo bad!

    ReplyDelete