Friday, October 24, 2014

From Italy to France

Madame Serpent by Jean Plaidy
Published
: July 3, 2012 by Touchstone
First Published: 1952
Series: Catherine de Medici #1
It's been over two years since I've last read a Jean Plaidy book, which is a little crazy knowing that ever since college I've considered her one of my favorite historical fiction authors. (Just looking at my goodreads stats gives you an idea how much since I've read 17 books by her since 2007 compared to my second most read author at 10.) There's just something about how many historical places and periods she wrote about and how many details she's able to include to I can't help but be excited about.

Funny enough, I've never read a book on Catherine De'Medici yet reading this I realize how much I actually know about her story. It seems she's been actually been the background character in several other books I've read when reading about her husband's Mistress, Diane de Poitiers, or her daughter, or Mary, Queen of Scots, her daughter-in-law, or even her perfumer. Even with this background though, there's still so much new information I found which is one reason I love Plaidy's books.

It's hard for me to really articulate just why I enjoy reading her books so much. But she's definitely an author I'm always telling people to try out, especially if they like historical fiction. They've slowly started to bring more and more of her books back in print, but it definitely is exciting to know how many of her books I've still yet to read, although a bit depressing to know how many are still out of print.

5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I've ever read a Plaidy book but I have always heard marvelous things about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our library has quite a number of her books so I will have to check her out. She sounds like a good author!

    ReplyDelete