Wednesday, October 29, 2014

From AK to NC

This Dark Road to Mercy by Wiley Cash
Published
: September 23, 2014 by William Morrow Paperbacks
First Published: January 28, 2014
This is only my second book by Wiley Cash (and actually only second book he's written), but he's already becoming one of my current favorites. This is even more notable because his books aren't the type I'd normally decide to pick up, but yet they've both really captivated me.

While this book is completely different from his last, A Land More Kind Than Home, there's still a similar feel to them. Both are about such adult subjects, yet each one is told partially from the point of view of a children. I think it's an interesting way of taking such a serious subject, and somehow being able to give it a bit of innocence.

I'm not quite sure I can quite articulate just why these books speak so much to me. I know with this one I did appreciate that it was set during Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa's home run race, something I can look back on and remember as well. But even though I enjoyed this plot line, it's only a small factor why I connected to this so much. I think a lot of it has to do with feelings. It's just so easy to identify with what the characters are going through, their pain is your pain, their happiness is your happiness, it's almost like you become the characters within.

I never would have expected that I'd enjoy this more than Cash's debut, but I think after this he may go on to my auto-buy list, something few authors seem to make for me anymore.

5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to give this book a read. I love books where children narrate adult topics like Roddy Doyle's Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to read his books. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when an author goes on my auto-read list - it's such fun to KNOW you're going to absolutely adore whatever new book that author comes out with.

    Thanks for being a part of the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this on hold at the library. I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete