Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Story of Us

Us by David Nicholls
Published
: October 28, 2014 by Harper
After loving One Day years ago I was so, so excited to finally read the author's follow-up. While these are two completely different stories, I was happy to see that the feel of the books was consistent. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but Nicholls has this almost hypnotizing feel about his work. Also neither one is told with a completely linear timeline, something that could get confusing, but is definitely something that sets his books apart.

Except I didn't quite fall in love with this book the way I did with One Day, but I think a lot of that has to do with where I am in my life. With One Day we meet a boy and girl in their earlier twenties and see their relationship develop over the next ten years or so. Given that I read it in my mid-20s, before marriage, it was the perfect fit for me. This time the story is about a couple in their 50s whose marriage is falling apart who travel Europe with their son before he leaves for college. Still definitely a story I can appreciate, but one that I'm not in a position to completely relate to.

With that said, there were story lines that definitely resonated with me. As a scientist, Douglas, the father in the story, can't quite relate to his artistic son. Throughout the book he looks back on some of the choices he made and how they may not have always been the best parenting choice. And yet, each time I thought to myself, I would have done the exact same thing. Being at a family trivia night and wanting the scores recounted to show my child I beat them, well... that's something I could sadly see myself doing. On the eve of becoming a parent myself, parts of it were definitely a little eye opening, and hopefully because of it when I'm faced with similar parenting decisions I can think twice.

I do think there's such a beauty about Nicholls books, and while I can't quite say I adored this one as much as his last I still would strongly recommend it.

4/5

For more on Us please enjoy this video with author David Nicholls.
Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. That is too bad that you didn't connect with this book like you did with One Day but it sounds like a good book! I am looking forward to checking it out when it becomes available for me at the library! Oh and I am with you on the trivia thing... I am so competitive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you felt such a connection to ONE DAY. I'm glad that you enjoyed US even if you didn't connect to it the same way.

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete