Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Novel of Suspense

The Collector of Dying Breaths by M.J. Rose
Published
: April 8, 2014 by Atria Books
Series: Reincarnationist #6
There are certain types of books that I read and instantly think, this would be one my mom would have loved. These are books with dual story lines in the past and present, especially when there's a mystery solved throughout each time period. And as an added bonus it's books that have some connection to France. So it pains me a little that she's not here, because as much as I enjoyed this book, I think she would have loved it.

This book is a the sixth in a series, and while it's somewhat of a pet peeve of mine, I started with this and didn't read them in order. Thankfully, this one worked as a standalone. There was clearly a back story of Jac and Griffin's relationship, but there is a brief recap of it all. And while at times their relationship felt a bit like insta-love, I think if I had read the books preceding this, it would have had the development I was looking for.

I may not be a perfume expect, but I can say I really appreciated all the details that went into the creation of the perfumes. I can't vouch for their accuracy, but it definitely added an authenticity.

I also really loved everything with Catherine de Medici. While I've read several books where she's been featured, including now this one, I've yet to read anything that specifically focused on her. I know there's a few out there, even some that I already own, so hopefully I'm able to fill that niche for myself soon.

I really enjoyed my time with M.J. Rose, and if I have any complaint it's that I haven't read her earlier books. Even now, knowing how the series will end up, I'm looking forward to going back and reading the rest of the series.

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. I somehow did not realize this was part of a series! How is that possible? I enjoyed this book as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to check out this series because it sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete