Wednesday, April 16, 2014

From GA to SC

The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank
Published
: April 1, 2014 by William Morrow & Company
First Published: June 11, 2013
After 30 years of marriage Leslie Carter is considering leaving her husband. Out of their group of friends, all of Leslie friends are gone, due to death or divorce, and she isn't a fan of the new 20-something girls her husband's friends are dating. Considering I am a 20-something myself you wouldn't have expected I would have identify or enjoyed Leslie's perspective, but I didn't find that to be the case at all.

The story starts at therapy seasons of both Leslie and her husband Wesley. The next third of the book paves the road to how they got to the point where therapy was necessary. The final third is their joint therapy session and the aftermath of it all. I definitely thought it was an interesting way to tell the story, starting in the middle, but one I really liked.

I also loved the characters in the book, especially Leslie's brother Harlan. I'm not quite she how to describe him but maybe as Stanford Blatch on Sex and the City meets Lisa Vanderpump on RHOBH.

If I have any complaint about this book, it's that the cover doesn't quite fit the story. Yes, it's pretty light and airy which you do get from the cover, but I wouldn't classify it as at all beach-y. Not really a huge deal, but something I think is important, especially if you go into this looking for a good beach read.

I definitely did enjoy my time with Leslie and her friend, and can't wait to find time to read more from this author.

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

3 comments:

  1. I keep seeing this one. It sounds like something I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read anything by this author, but another blog friend and my aunt who was an English teacher and has great taste also recommended this author so I will have to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book for the tour!

    ReplyDelete