Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Greece Lightning

When the Cypress Whispers by Yvette Manessis Corporon
Considering that Greece is probably top of my list of countries I'm dying to visit, it's surprising that I so few books set there. I'm sure I've read books there that take place in ancient times, and the in the traveling pants books Greece did make a cameo. But this is the first book I can remember reading in modern day where Greece is where all the action takes, and with that, it's an amazing way to start.

In some ways I want to say that this book transported me to Greece, but that wasn't quite the case. Instead each time I'd read about the beaches or the cypress trees or quaint little villages and sigh because I wasn't quite there. It did bring Greece alive so close that I could taste it, but for me it wasn't quite enough. If only because I actually can't wait to be there myself.

Speaking of taste, the food is also an aspect that had my drooling page after page. As a girl whose favorite snack is slices of feta reading a passage of baked feta that "had been generously drizzled with olive oil and smoky paprika, then topped with just a few slivers of fresh peppers," is practically heaven to me. And that's just at one meal! I was definitely in awe at all the various times food was described throughout and even now am still craving a good Greek meal.

The book did wind up a little predictable, but not in a way I would have expected before reading it. Daphne is a 30-something single mother visiting Greece and her grandmother for this the first time since her childhood. She's still trying to figure out a way to blend her past and her future, something I can definitely identify with. But while I may predicted the big events, I was still surprised that the ending wasn't a perfect happily ever after.

I think you can probably tell, this book had me dying to visit Greece. Hopefully I'm able to get there sooner rather than later, but if I ever need to feel at least somewhat transported there, I'll be picking this one up again.

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through TLC Book Tours. All opinions expressed are my own.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book - I added it to my to-read list. I have never been to Greece but would love to visit some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good one. And now I want some feta!

    ReplyDelete