Sunday, April 27, 2014

Mailbox Monday (74)

It feels like weekends are never long enough. But while I'd like it to go on forever, at least one perk of it ending is that it's time to link up with Mailbox Monday to share the books I've added to my to-read pile recently.
Mailbox Monday
From Goodreads
The Last Kings of Sark by Rosa Rankin-Gee
This one is about a young girl who goes to Europe to become a tutor to royalty living on Channel Island, the last place in Europe to abolish feudalism. I can't say I really know a lot about this one, but it does look awfully intriguing, especially with my love of all things royal.

Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good by Kathleen Flinn
While I've never actually read anything by this author, I do at least own her first memmoir The Sharper You Knife, the Less You Cry. While her first was her experience attending Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, this instead is about her childhood and how those experiences lead her towards becoming a chef. I do consider myself a bit of a foodie, so I do think both of her books look like ones I'll enjoy, at least whenever I find the time to read them.

For Review from Historical Fiction Book Tours
Sinners and the Sea by Rebecca Kanner
I wouldn't call myself an expert on Biblical fiction, but of the handful I've read I've always really enjoyed myself. This one is about Noah's wife, and while I obviously know the story, I'm really curious to see what all has been added to get to a full novel.

For Review from Virtual Author Book Tours
Love Will Make You Drink & Gamble, Stay Out Late at Night by Shelly Lowenkopf
This is a short story collection where all stories take place in Santa Barbara. Knowing that for years I was planning on going to college in Santa Barbara, I think this will be an interesting take on what my life could have been like.

What did you find in your mailbox this week?

10 comments:

  1. Sinners and the Sea sounds interesting. Enjoy your new reads! Here’s my MAILBOX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Flinn and Lowenkopf books sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New books to me but ones I'd definitely read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice mailbox.

    I like Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good. :)

    Have a great week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these all look so tempting. I love the look of Sinners and the Sea. Enjoy!

    Here's MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sinners and the Sea caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you like to cook or want to learn to be a better cook you must read Kathleen Flinn's THE KITCHEN COUNTER COOKING SCHOOL. After I read/reviewed it I bought copies for my two daughters and daughter-in-law. Wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sinners And The Sea sounds really interesting. Have you read The Red Tent by Anita Diamant??? I love that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have! I read it back in high school though, so it's been a while. I'm also a big fan of Marek Halter's books, and absolutely LOVED The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read any of these! Enjoy your new reads!

    ReplyDelete