Saturday, March 31, 2012

From Chicago to Colorado

Kings of Colorado by David E. Hilton
William was trying to rescue his own mother by stabbing his abusive father in the chest. Instead he's sent to the Swope Ranch Boys' Reformatory at age 13, where life completely changes. There's is a lot more a could say about the plot of the book, but at this point it's hard for me to articulate it, and I think I'd need a few more days of reflection to better summarize it.

To be honest I wasn't looking forward to reading this book. I actually won it in a goodreads giveaway last September, which means I had it for over half a year before picking it up. But I'm glad I finally did because it's a story that leaves an impression.

The majority of the novel takes place when William is 13, but in no way would I classify it as a young adult novel. There is a lot of violence in the book between the boys at the reformatory, as well as from the guards in charge of the boys, and there's several scenes that I can't see how I'll forget. But it is a story that leaves an impression, and that says with once.

More than that once I got into it I literally had to force myself to stop reading. I had expected it would be a slow read, since it isn't the type of book I normally pick up, but wound up finishing the entire thing in less than 24 hours.

This isn't a book that I'd recommend for a light read. But if you're looking for something that you won't forget, that makes you feel and get invested with the character you meet, this would be a good option.

4.5/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment