Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Novel of the Borgias

Madonna of the Seven Hills by Jean Plaidy
As soon as I realized this book had been released I was really looking forward to reading it. First it was written by Jean Plaidy, I've already raved about her over and over so I'll try to avoid doing that once again. Second it was about the Borgias family, and this would be my first time reading anything about them. I am happy to report back that I wasn't disappointed.

While the book follows the Borgiases from Pope Alexander VI to his 3 illegitimate sons, the focus is on his daughter Lucrezia. I had heard she was something of a harlot, and I was surprised to find her fairly innocent in this book, although I'm sure this will change in the sequel. Like most Plaidy books the story starts with Lucrezia's childhood and continues as she grows up.

I know it's been said before, but I think it's especially relevant to this story, that the truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. There is so much that happens to the family throughout the book, that if it were a work of fiction it could be seen as a little over the top. I realize the book is only based on truth, but reading it you have to wonder how much actually happened and how much is left over from rumors and gossips.

Speaking of the scandals, the last chapter is full of them. I wouldn't go as far to say that the book ends on a cliffhanger, but more that after it's ending I can't wait to dive into the sequel to see just what other adventures are ahead for Lucrezia.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that there is a series on Showtime called The Borgias?! It's obviously based on this same family.

    ReplyDelete