Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Karate Team

The A-Team
Remember my review of The Losers where I said it would probably be a not as good version of The A-Team? Well that was pretty much the case. I did enjoy the movie, and its not one I'm dying to see again. Again the story is pretty basic a team of military men gets frames for a crime, and has to show the world who the real bad guys are. Nothing too crazy.

For me the high points were really Bradley Cooper and Jessica Biel. It's really crazy to think of how far she's come from Mary Camden. There were a few good actions scenes, especially the finale, and there's a scene after the credits which a also appreciate. I'd say it hits the spot as a good summer action film.

The Karate Kid
I never saw the original growing up, but the boy tried to get me to watch it a year or two ago. I only remember the first half, so I have a feeling a fell asleep halfway through. So I guess you could say I only half knew what to expect. But I wound up really enjoying this movie, and think it was better than expected.

First there's Jaden Smith, who was surprisingly good. There was a moment where he said a line and sounded almost exactly like his father. But overall he seemed like his own person. He definitely held his own, and I do think he has a big future in front of him.

I think the one thing I didn't like about it, where the fighting bits between the 12-year-old boys. It's one thing when they're supervised at the big contest at the end of the movie. But the parts when the bullies are practically pummeling Jaden on the street? It hurt a little too watch. I know its not real in the movie, but the idea that it happens in real life is a little scary.

I think one of the reasons that the movie is going to do so well is because of the mass appeal. It's a story about a kid, so all the young boys want to see it and will drag their parents. And the 20-something guys, like my boyfriend, all want to see it since its a part of their childhood. (The boy was a fan, and did seem to like the fact it followed the original.) Then judging from the demographics of our theater, the fact that Jaden Smith was in it brought out the African-American segment. But I think like his father, he is going to able to people of every race.

And as silly as it may sound, I loved the credits. First they were done in both English and Chinese. Second they featured behind the scenes photos, which of course included shots of Will and Jada Pinkett Smith overlooking the action. And finally, there's the Justin Beiber and Jaden Smith song over the credits. I guess he's a singer too like his dad.

While I enjoyed both of the movies, The Karate Kid is easily my pick out of this weekend.

~Shoshanah

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to see this. I never saw the earlier versions, and don't really have much interest in watching them, but I do want to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanna see the A-Team movie. I've been going back and watching the old show. As for the Karate kid, I was a HUGE fan of the old one but I think Will Smith's son just rubs me the wrong way. I sadly, have no urge to go see the new one.

    ReplyDelete