Sunday, August 30, 2009

The End of Summer

Sorry to disappoint anyone, but we opted not to see any of the new releases this weekend. If you were looking for a review of either The final Destination, Halloween II, or Taking Woodstock then I do apologize. Instead we opted for a movie we missed out on seeing originally. Since we normally she movies the 1st weekend they are released it makes it hard to see indie films. Since in Baton Rouge, they normally have no big opening, instead they'll just appear one weekend. But we did finally make room for

(500) Days of Summer
I've been looking forward to seeing this movie for what seems like the longest time, and thankfully it didn't disappoint. As you can tell from the poster its not really of love story, but more of the story of a relationship with a girl named Summer. Even so there were still a lot of cute romantic type moments. Of course there were a some sad parts, but it managed to have quite a few laugh out loud moments as well. Several that clearly amused the boy, although I'm not sure he'll admit it.

One tricky thing about the movie was the lack of chronological scenes. While I do enjoy he feel of movies that do this and understand the need for it, it still makes parts of the movies hard to follow. I think its partly that I feel the need to be able to fit every scene together. And while most scenes are preference by what number day it is, its hard to remember where each scene is supposed to go relative to the others.

Of course I love most any movie that takes place in Los Angeles. Even the little things like the scenes in Ikea make me a tiny bit homesick. (Really, someone needs to open up an Ikea in Louisiana.) Los Angeles itself feels the at least slightly the same way since they gave Zoey Deschanel a key to the city.
Zooey Deschanel with Key to the City
This photo was actually taken by my dad at the event. The bench seen in the background is facing towards a view of downtown, and is where several scenes of the movie were filmed.

I'm really glad I got a chance to see this film before it left theaters, and I'd tell you to do the same. Its a really cute movie, and even if the boy won't admit it I do think he enjoyed it at least a small bit.

~Shoshanah

6 comments:

  1. Louisiana has no IKEA?! Well, that's tragic. We live in Atlanta - 15 minutes from IKEA - and my husband said that we will have to measure proximity to IKEA before moving to our next home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see this movie so bad! I almost went today but just was too tired by the end of afternoon to drive over to a theater. Hopefully I get a chance to see it while it's still in theaters. I love Zooey Deschenal (totally butchered the spelling of her name, I'm sure).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've seen previews for this but I don't even know if it's still playing in my town.

    I love it when boys like cute girly movies but can't admit it lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to see this movie! Also, Louisiana has been in need of an Ikea for a LONG time. I mean, there are like six major colleges within an hour from Baton Rouge.

    Ikea needs to hear our call!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wanted to see this movie and now I really, really, really want to see it! :)
    Zoey Deschanel is one of my favorite actresses, I love just about everything she's in! Maybe I will check this movie out on Thursday when I'm off work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i loved that movie so much!! prob one of my faves now and the soundtrack is great

    ReplyDelete