Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Repaying On It

The Debt
To be honest I wasn't really looking forward to this one. But as awful as it sounds the main reason that I was willing to see it was that it's basically an Israeli movie. Its basic story is around three Israeli Mossad agents who are sent to the Soviet Union on a secret mission to capture a former high ranking Nazi. Except it doesn't go completely to plan, and years later the three of them are still dealing with the consequences of their actions.

Watching the movie part of me wondered if it would have made more sense for them to be speaking Hebrew instead of English. (After all when they spoke Russian it was actually Russian.) Except if it was actually in Hebrew it wouldn't quite have the same market. Plus this is actually a remake of an Israeli film, so the Hebrew version is out there. I did like the fact that aside for the 6 main characters, most of the actors were Israeli (at least judging by the names listed in the credits).

Overall the movie wasn't quite what I expected it to be, but I did enjoy it. Although I think that if this had been just a general spy movie, and I didn't have the Jewish connection, I probably would feel as strongly for it.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the trailer looked good but I haven't heard the best things about it. If I see it will be on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what people thought about it. And I had no idea there was an Israeli connection...I may have to see it now...

    ReplyDelete