Thursday, September 8, 2011

30 Days of Books - Day 8

Day 08 – Most overrated book
This one was difficult for me. Not in the sense that it was hard to come up with one, but more of what overrated means. In my mind an overrated book would be one that everyone else seems to love that I just couldn't get into. So by picking a book that I couldn't get into, but everybody else did, means I'm going to be upsetting someone. No offense to anyone if you loved this, but it just didn't do it for me. And the book I'm selecting is...
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
I was just never really able to get into it. I think part of it is I was assigned to read the book and school, and I don't particularly like being told what to read. Also part of me would prefer just to enjoy a book without having to analyze it in depth. But even though I'm not a fan of this, if they do decide to make a movie (especially staring Leonardo Dicaprio as I've heard rumored) I will definitely be there.

Do you agree with my choice, or are you a huge fan of this one? And what book would you consider to be "most overrated"?

6 comments:

  1. I tried to read this one too and only got a few pages in before giving up. I'll try it again sometime but it might not ever happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally LOVE this book, but I understand what you mean, once I was assigned to read a book in school, i lost all interest in the book, cause reading then lost the fun for me. Also, they have already begun production on Great Gatsby... Leo is in it, as well as Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book earlier this year and I didn't love it. One of my really good friends says it is her absolute favorite book, and I just want to say "Really????".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this one in school and I really enjoyed. I'm not sure I would want to do a reread anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a sucker for the "classics" - if it's on an assigned reading list, chances are I love it. Today I said on my blog that a book I hated that most people seemed to love was Wicked. I even gave it a second read several years later, but still can't stand it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I loved The Great Gatsby!!!! I'm going to have to disagree on this one! ;)

    ReplyDelete