Sunday, September 18, 2011

In My Mailbox (23)

I'm linking up to The Story Siren's In My Mailbox. For more information on what it is and how it got started, you're more than welcome to visit The Story Siren.So my last trip to Borders. Still can't believe it. This was actually taken last weekend, except I already had last Sunday's post ready. All of these were marked down 70-90%, which means my receipt was under $20 and showed a savings of over $100. By this point there were out of a lot of books, but I still managed to find a few I was in love with. Now onto the books!
In My Mailbox
The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin
This was the first book I picked up in the store and I'm so happy they still had at least one in stock. I've been lusting this one for a while now and I'm so happy to finally be able to read it! It is a historical fiction about the wife of P. T. Barnum's General Tom Thumb. I'm assuming it will be similar to Water for Elephants at least with the circus aspect and I'm really hoping to love this one.

Four Kitchens by Lauren Shockey
This one actually jumped out at me as something my parents would really enjoy. I'm sure I'd enjoy it too, but they tend to read these food-memoir type books more. Of course the fact that one of the kitchens mentioned on the cover is Tel Aviv has a lot to do with why it caught my eye.

How to Eat a Small Country by Amy Finley
Another food-y type memoir, except with a reality tv spin. This was written by one of the winners of Food Network's The Next Food Network Star. There's only been 1 or 2 seasons I've watched by Amy's was one of them. The basic plot line of this seems to be that being a celebrity was everything Amy expected. So instead Amy quits her show and moves her family to France to find out what's really important to her.

Snow Day by Billy Coffey
So I went to the register to check out and was told, "If you buy 1 more book you get 15% off your entire purchase." This is the book that was closest to me at that time. Basically it means I spent $1.50 on this book and got $3 back, or I was paid $1.50 to buy this one. Of course it's not the best deal since I could have done this with a book I would probably enjoy more. But even though this book doesn't look like the type I normally read I might force myself to read it just to prove that it wasn't that bad of a decision.

The Darling Strumpet by Gillian Bagwell
I've seen this book several times and always thought about picking it up, but never actually followed through. It's a story of Nell Gwynn, one of Charles II's mistresses. Everything I've read about Charles II and his court I've enjoyed, so I'm hoping this will follow that trend.

Paris, Baby by Kristen Lobe
Yes, another memmior. This seems to be a mash-up of several other books I've previously read, but it's basically a memior of a single American girl who finds herself pregnant in Paris. Plus how cute is this cover?

Sweet Date of Basra by Jessica Jiji
This is another historical fiction that takes place in Iraq in the 1940s. I've never really read anything historical about Iraq but I'm more than curious to try this one out.

Secrets of a Jewish Mother by Gloria Kame, Lisa Wexler, and Jill Zarin
I probably would have picked this one up based only on the title. But the fact that it's written by Jill Zarin of Real Housewives of New York, meant this was an automatic yes. While Jill may not be my favorite housewife I'm still excited to read her book.

Definitely an excellent mailbox for me this week! Let me know if yours was as well.

6 comments:

  1. So many books! I'm so excited for you! I read Four Kitchens and wasn't totally thrilled with it, but as a food/travelogue, it's good - it definitely made me want to go everywhere!

    Thanks for stopping by! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of these titles are new to me. I haven't read any of these. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so wish we had Borders here, I would be in a frenzy amidst all the cheap books. It's sad that they're closing but it's awesome how many books people are picking up too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Funny thing is that looking at the covers and titles (knowing nothing about the books) Snow Day was the one that jumped out at me! lol Great picks! Thanks for stopping by my IMM.




    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interested in The Darling Strumpet - not something I would have thought to pick up, but it sounds excellent!

    Thanks for stopping by Book Sake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb sounds so good. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete