Friday, September 16, 2011

Paris Hold the Key to Your Heart

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Going into this I had heard nothing but positive reviews. I was a little skeptical, because really, how could a book actually be that good? But I am a little giddy to admit that the book didn't just meet my expectations is completely exceeded them.

Anna is not too happy when her father sends her off the boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school. Yes, she does understand that living in Paris has its benefits, but more of her is upset that she won't be able to spend her last year of high school with all her friends and her kind-of-sorta-boyfriend. Except Paris has a little magic of its own to sway her mind.

Obviously I have criticisms of the book, but honestly most of them could be considered positives in a different light. First, the book didn't read like Anna and her friends were in high school. Instead they reminded me a lot more of the feeling of college. I do think that a lot of that has to do with the circumstances, and going to boarding school in Paris is probably a lot more like my college experience than mine in high school. Also living halfway across the world from your parents would force you to grow up, which is why it makes sense everyone seemed so mature. And while it might have bothered me that everyone seemed more like college students than high school-ers, I have a feeling I would have enjoyed it a lot less if they came off as immature to me.

And then there's the dreamy Etienne St. Clair who almost comes off as too perfect and too good to be true. Except looking back Etienne definitely had his faults and his shortcomings. It's just that all of his hotness oozes of the pages, that you almost ignore the bad and almost can't imagine that someone as perfect as Etienne would exist in real life.

I can't believe I waited this long to read this. But in a way it's a good thing, because now I don't have to wait near as long for its companion novel, Lola and the Boy Next Door, which comes out later this fall. If you've been avoiding this one because you don't see how it can possibly live up to its hype, you need to give it a chance because I think you will be surprised.

5/5

6 comments:

  1. I still have this from the library (for the second time) and it's due soon... I think I'm going to read it next. Was it a fast read for you?

    I love boarding school books! Have you read the Privilege series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't avoiding it because of the hype so much as because I thought from the title/description that it was a teen book. Is it? Or is it a book about teens but intended for adults? (does that make sense?) I may have to try it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one too! I was very skeptical and thought it would be a cheesy love story, and it was much more then that. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read this one yet. I've heard such good things but just haven't actually gotten it yet. I do want to read it. I will someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pretty much fully agree with your review of this book. Etienne was way too hot and yes when you step back you see his shortcomings and flaws but it was a good book. I'm glad I bought this book a while ago I have preordered the next book by the same author and am excited for it to arrive in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard so many good things about this book! I need to read it!

    ReplyDelete