Friday, September 2, 2011

Memoirs of a Grandma

The Smartest Woman I Know by Irene Beckerman
I really wasn't sure what to expect with this one, and when I heard it was coming to me was a little hesitant to give it a try. But it wound up being a really pleasant surprise and I'm glad I gave it a chance.

While I haven't actually read it, I would imagine this book is a lot like Sh*t My Dad Says except from a Jewish grandmother. The book is filled with all types of insights and knowledge from the author's grandmother, Ettie, that sure learned while her grandparents raised her in New York in the 1940s and 50s. Wisdom like while talking about "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby, "Irving Berlin, a Jew wrote that song. So would it have been so terrible if he'd dreamed about a white Hanuka, instead?"

Next to all the insights are cute little doodles or pictures that help the illustrate and hit home the point. For example, when we hear the story of how Ettie knew Sara Delano Roosevelt, there's pictures of each women each on top of a doodle of a folding chair.

Overall it's a quick and entertaining book. (It probably took me about an hour to read the hundred pages.) It feels a little bit like spending time with a treasured Jewish grandmother, and I think this has the potential to be a great gift.

4/5

Disclosure: I was provided this book through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment