Tuesday, September 27, 2011

30 Days of Books - Day 11

Day 11 – A book you hated
Part of me feels awful writing this one, becuase every book was written by an author that loved it, and just becuase I hated it doesn't mean someone else won't. But the book I'm sharing is one that still sticks out to me as one I really didn't enjoy, even though it's been almost 4 years since I've read it.
Gifted by Nikita Lalwani
It's funny going back to my goodreads profile seeing I gave it 2 stars with the following review.
"The first half of the book forever to get through. However, the final part read quite quickly, and was by far the most enjoyable part."
Looking back I must only be remember the first half and would probably now rate the book a 1 out of 5. My parents actually bought this book for me, back when they were in London (It was a UK edition, but I'm not sure if it's ever been published in the U.S.) since it's about a math prodigy, and at the time I was working towards my Masters in Math. It definitely should have been a book I'd enjoy, but it just didn't work for me.

I think a lot of that is because Rumi, the math prodigy, is so miserable for what I remember being the entire book. Her father forces her to study non-stop and sends her to the unniversity when she still a young teen. While there she tries to date guys, except for gets to tell them she isn't actually 18. But what stuck with me the most was her weird study habbits. Although I don't remember them exactly, it was something like chewing on pistachios shells, and the description of it all grossed me out a little.

Again, I do feel a little guilty calling this one out, since I'm sure there are people who loved it. So let me feel a little better, and tell me that there are books that you hated too.

1 comment: