Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Future Right-Now Mrs.?

Remember a few weeks back how my MOH came to visit? Well after she left she sent us a thank you/housewarming present.
DSC05875
A giant F! Which is the boy's last name and my future last name. And with the F we now have a total of 5 items decorating the walls! And we've been hear almost 2 years... Obviously I'm not the best decorator.

I'm still not in love with the placement of the F. I don't really like the fact that's it's off-center. Except when I put it center it overlaps the picture. I could of course move the picture frame up, but it's already awfully close to the ceiling, and it took the boy close to 9 months to actually hang the picture. I'm not sure I can get him to move it anytime soon.

But this post isn't actually about the gift. (Although I do love it, thanks yo!) Instead it has to do with the fact she sent it from Restoration Hardware and must have addressed to both of us, because this past week we received a catalog in the mail addressed to... "Shoshanah F---." Yes, somehow they combined both of our names when addressing the catalog. Of course it isn't completely correct since I have a middle initial listed, which is instead the first initial of the boy's name. But still, it's the first time I've seen my name officially in print with the boy's last name instead of my own.

In a way it just feels odd, partially because it doesn't look that odd to me. I actually didn't notice the typo until a few days after it arrived when I was looking through it. It's hard to believe that a year from now this name (minus of course the wrong middle initial), will be correct on the mail we receive.

What are you thoughts on the name change debate? And what do you think I should do with the F? (It can be bolted to the wall if you absolutely hate it on the mantle, but for now it's there because it's the easiest place to put it.)

6 comments:

  1. I'm changing my name because it's really important to me to have the same last name as my husband and eventually my children.

    I probably won't rush to change it professionally though and I'm not going to lie, I am a little sad about it. I really like my last name and that my name is quite unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't a fan of my maiden name. I was glad to marry someone with such a common easy to spell name.
    I like I would put the F on a wall. The picture takes up too much space on the mantle for it go there. I'm not a decorator either but that's my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My maiden name is hard for people to pronounce and I could not wait to change it...until about a month before the wedding. I did wind up changing it but I still feel weird; somedays I am like "who is this Denise F person??"

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the province I live in, I'm not allowed to legally change it. I still use it for all non-legal documents. I don't agree, I think it should be an option. I want to have the same last name as my children, and I will not hyphenate our last names. I'm traditional, and would love to legally change my name one day if the law allows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could the F be placed above one of the doorways instead?

    I'll likely change my mind when the time comes....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think someone mentioned it but I think it would look really nice on the wall in an entry way! That's a nice gift!

    ReplyDelete