Thursday, March 5, 2009

Green and Gold Forever

I had a completely different post in mind today, but after being on facebook... well, it took a turn. I do apologize, honestly, but I couldn't help myself.

I have an immense amount of what we called at my college, "home pride." If you asked me about where I was from I could go on and on and on. And if you threw my high school into the mix, well you were just asking for trouble. To start with a ridiculous amount of celebrities went to my high school. Let's see, there's Cameron Diaz, Billie Jean King, Chase Utley, Snoop Dogg, Tony Gwynn, and more.

Of course it's also a popular place to film movies. I know when I was their a friend a I stole a doughnut from the craft services table of the movie The United States of Leland staring Ryan Gosling. Also my drama class got to watch them film part of A Time for Dancing staring Shane West, Larisa Oleynik, and Shiri Appleby. And then there was the time after I graduated and I picked my brother up from high school and they had changed the name on the front in order to film Coach Carter staring Samuel L. Jackson. Haven't heard of those movies? How about American Pie, The Craft and even the movie Fired Up that's currently in theaters. All of those were filmed there too.

Plus they filmed commercials there too. I remember skipping soccer practice on day to watch Tiger Woods film a Target commercial.

Plus it has one of the top high school sports programs in the country. I know there's more football players from Poly than any other high school in the country. Our baseball field is the Tony Gywnn Field named after Tony Gywnn from the San Diego Padres.

Least you think academics are left behind, Poly has been on Newsweek top 100 public high schools numerous times. I know we were (and probably still are) the only school to be one of Newsweek's top academic schools in the country and one of Sports Illustrated's top Sports Schools of the country.

So what exactly brought on the awfully ego-centric post? Well a link to the football team's website. It's longbeachpolyfootball.com. Not hard to forget right. Well turns out Snoop Dogg actually recorded a Long Beach Poly song. How funny is that. I bet there's not a lot of high schools out there who can say they have a rap song.

~Shoshanah

P.S. Did I mention Poly's music department has won a Grammy?

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's so cool that your high school has all that awesome history with celebrities and stuff! I can't believe they filmed so many of those movies there, that's seriously SO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love your school spirit! I don't blame you at all, I would be talking about that stuff all the time!!!

    ReplyDelete