Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Even or Odd

My post yesterday had some interesting feedback, especially concerning my even number issue. So I figured I'd provide a little clarification.

As weird as it may sound I know exactly where this came from. Growing up, my best friend had a bit of an issue with this of her own. Whenever I was at her house and needed to change the volume on the TV, she'd make me change it if I didn't put it on an even number. I guess that bit was classically conditioned in me. She does not have the same issue with repeating numbers or with numbers ending in zero, so I'm not sure where that came from. And I'm not sure how or why I've applied it to my alarm as well (which is just my cell phone)

I'm not sure when this exactly started, but I'm pretty sure it was in college. Growing up our TVs didn't have numbers on the volume. I also didn't set an alarm, I just relied on my parents to wake me up. I distinctly remember requesting the volume HAD to be on an even number on a ski trip my Junior year of college, but I'm not sure how much before that I was doing this.

Overall, this isn't that big of a deal. (The easiest solution, buy a TV where there are no numbers on the volume.) The worst though is when the volume is on 18, and you need it a tiny bit louder. Well, the next even number is 20, and that doesn't work because it ends in a zero. Then there is 22, and that doesn't work because the 2 repeats. Then you finally reach 24. I have had several times when I have gone back and forth between 18 and 24 trying to decide if it is better to have the volume too low or too high. I have managed a compromise with myself, and when it is EXTREMELY necessary I will allow 21. (That was my uniform number on my college soccer team. It's pretty much the only odd number I have a soft spot for.)

Andrea wanted to know if I had a problem with odd numbered dates. And no! It really is just with TV volumes and my alarm time. (I'm OK with odd numbered radio volumes.) She specifically asked about 3/3/09. Which is a great day because its a perfect square! I love fun little dates like that! (Hence my Pi day post) Other fun dates? Well, Mole day is 10/23. My Birthday is 10/10. And there was a great moment a few years ago when it as 12:34 on 5/6/07.

Now that you all think I'm crazy, I think this is a good place to end. But really, anyone have their own issues with numbers?

~Shoshanah

7 comments:

  1. I have a weak spot for the number 9 since my birthday is 09/09. But other than that I'd have to say no, I don't really notice what the numbers are when the alarm goes off or I turn up the TV lol. That's too funny though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I have OCD days where I count my steps, but only if I'm trying to walk as fast as I can to my car and the weather is horrible...so I think everyone has their numbers issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny, my little math geek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at this - http://www.flickr.com/photos/karenfromthelbc/3368371982/
    We drive by a lot and I was finally able to get a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there's a bit of OCD in all of us :) I also like my numbers to be a certain way...but more along the lines of 5, 10, 15...etc. So I'll usually leave the house at that time...but because I'm not always the most organized, it doesn't always happen that way ;) And sometimes, I like to do it differently just for fun! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha i love this post!!
    my mom has the same problem - when the volume is at like 18 and she wants it louder she always says "oh man im getting old"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am actually quite fond of all things having to do w/ the number six...which apparently is a bad thing in Christianity b/c it's the day of the devil or something-I had no idea and I'm a Christian! I still like the number:P My birthday is on the 16 soooo maybe it has something to do w/ it?

    ReplyDelete