Monday, March 30, 2009

Crawfish Boil

Yesterday I went to a crawfish boil for the boy's brother-in-law. The boy was working so I drove myself. Of course first went the wrong way on the interstate, and then missed the turnoff into their neighborhood and drove about 20 minutes out of the way. I was nervous on the drive over, partly because I didn't want to get lost but also because I get nervous when I go to any social type of gathering myself (Does anybody else freak themselves out this way). I'm glad I went though because I had a really great time.

For those not in the know, a crawfish boil in Louisiana's version of a Maryland crab feast. (Unfortunately, if you're not familiar with a crab feast I'm not sure what to compare it too.) You cover the table with newspaper and dump the seafood on top. One thing they add are a few vegetables to soak up all the seasoning. This one had corn, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, and sausages (not a veggie I know). Other people mentioned having broccoli or artichoke hearts as well. There were 3 batches, (what's on the table is only the third batch to give you an idea of how much there was).

Now just for fun a crash course on how to eat a crawfish. At first glace they look a little scary, and can be a little intimidating when you first start. But since there's so little meat in each one, you get a lot of practice. So here goes...

Step 1: Break of the head. Yes it does sound cruel. But they have already been boiled alive, so it can't get a whole lot worse. Some people like to suck the juice out of the head. Some people don't. I'll do it every once in a while. All you really get is a spicy flavor.

Step 2: Peel the tail. I find it works best if you fold it in half first to break it and then peel the pieces off. There's about 1 or 2 bites in each tail.

Step 3: Break open the claws. The is an optional step, that a lot of people don't feel gets you get enough bang for your buck. I'll only really do it if the claws are HUGE. I think part of it is because I used to eat Maryland crabs which had far bigger claws. I just don't think the claws are worth the effort most of the time.

So there you have it! Just in case you get invited to a crawfish boil soon, you now know what to do!

~Shoshanah

4 comments:

  1. LOL, you crack me up! (no pun intended) That's so cool!!! Never been to either types of event, but I'm glad I am now in the know, in case I ever go to one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fun!! I LOVE crab, lobster, pretty much any kind of seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to one of those but it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ive lived in MD since 6th grade and hadn't heard of the cake either until i went to school on the eastern shore. Smith Island is right around there. the cake is amazzzzzzzzzzzing girl! what school did you go to?

    ReplyDelete