Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday Social (3)

It's Sunday and once again I'm linking up with A Complete Waste of Make-Up's Sunday Social. This weekend is food related, which I'm always obsessed with, so I've been looking forward to this all week long!
If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Lasagna. I'm pretty much obsessed with it, and order it every single time we go to an Italian restaurant. Plus you can always make it a little different by changing a few ingredients to make a different spin on in. I've seen Mexican versions and Mediterranean ones, and I'm sure there are a ton others.
Lasagna
Lasagna with spinach light on tomato sauce
What's your guilty pleasure/comfort food?
I'm a huge dessert person, but especially candy. And my all time favorite candy has to be Zours.
Zours
What's the weirdest/craziest thing you've ever eaten?
Well I don't think it's weird, but a lot of people may. I'm obsessed with feta. To the point where I eat slices of it drizzled in olive oil and vinegar. And I love heading to Zoe's (a local chain) because they're the only place I've heard of where they serve grilled feta sandwiches.
Feta
What foods do you avoid at all costs?
Despite my answer to the last questions, I'm not a fan of most milk products. Things like cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, macaroni and cheese, yogurt, Alfredo sauce, and whatnot. The big exception are various cheeses or things where there's enough sugar to counteract it (like ice cream or whipped cream).

What meal reminds you of your childhood?
Most birthdays my mom would ask me what I wanted for dinner and I would almost always pick lasagna and a Cesar salad. But the food that probably reminds me of being little is risotto. The first few times my mom made it I wasn't a huge fan because I thought it was too much like macaroni and cheese. So basically as I kid I thought risotto wasn't refined enough for me. I guess I'm slightly less refined now because it's one of my current favorites.

Share one of your favorite recipes and the story behind it.
This is my mom's pancake recipe (courtesy of Marion Cunningham's The Breakfast Book). Growing up I loved pancakes in general, but I especially loved them up in the mountains. There's just something about being in the mountains that made them taste magical. This is also probably one of the first recipes I asked my mom for. She sent it to me back in college when I was living in an off-campus apartment with a kitchen. After I graduated she wound up with a new copy of the book, and give me her used, falling apart original. I feel awful admitting this, but it has been forever since I've actually woken up and cooked pancakes. But here I'll promise myself that before the end of the year, probably after the wedding, I'll make a batch of pancakes.
Blueberry Pancakes
If your stopping by from Sunday Social, please let me know so I can return the favor. And if you haven't answered these questions yet, what would some of your responses be?

7 comments:

  1. I love feta! I put it on almost everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I love lasagna too! I think my answer to that first question would probably be tacos because of all the different proteins you can put in them!

    I have never even heard of Zours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A grilled feta sandwich sounds absolutely DIVINE: I love feta too, especially on a Greek salad. I could probably just eat Greek salads my entire life and die happy ;)

    I used to love Zours, too: except they would always tear the tastebuds off my tongue when I ate too many, hehe. But I can't stop eating Sour Punch Straws: they're my guiltiest candy pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love feta! Never heard of or have had a grilled feta sandwich?! I am going to have to try that. Let's meet at Zoe's sometime, since Panera may be awhile?! Haha. I love Zoe's!

    I love lasagna too. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my Blog! Your pancakes looks so good! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PANCAKES...this journey is making me hungry!

    Found you thru the Sunday Social...and I'm your newest follower! YAY!

    Tif
    Ramblings of a Southern Belle
    http://www.her-southern-ramblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete