Friday, August 24, 2012

My Two Moms

Where We Belong by Emily Giffin
I've read and enjoy every single one of Giffin's books. Some more than others obviously, but still I would recommend each one. There's just something about the way she writes that just different then most other chick lit there. Of course then, I was excited to pick this one up, and expected to enjoy it. But I more than enjoyed it, in fact I think it's probably my favorite of all of Giffin's books so far.

While I still love all her other books, it's hard for me to relate to her characters. Too often the you're supposed to identify with someone who is (or is considering) cheating on their spouse. And while I understand there's people out there who do it, it's not something I can really relate too. Then her one book that doesn't really deal with infidelity instead is one whose source of conflict is that they don't want children. And for someone who wants kids, that was also hard for me to understand. Just a lot of times too, you're not sure who you want to root for, and it makes it a difficult, but still enjoyable read

But with this one I didn't feel like I had to choose which character to root for. I was able to wish the best for each one, without feeling like another character had to loose out to do so. And while I never had to deal with getting pregnant as teen or being adopted, I still was able to identify and relate to the moral decisions made.

In some ways this book feels a little like a YA book. It brings you back to the emotions you feel falling in love for the first time. I could see how some readers might not be wanting this, but as a big YA fan, it was something I enjoyed.

Again, I'll say this is probably my favorite Emily Giffin book. I couldn't stop reading this, which in a way is disappointing because I wish I was still reading this. If you've enjoyed Giffin's past books I'm sure you'll love this. And if you've yet to read anything by her, I think this would be a great one to start with.

5/5

Today I'm linking up with Blonde Undercover Blonde for Book Club Friday!

12 comments:

  1. agreed- this is also my favorite of hers, I think. I just recently met her- she was here in DC on her book tour! I need to blog about it and post photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed her books in the past so I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book too. I flew through it - I read it in one day! I agree with you. It was easy to relate and feel for all the characters without "choosing" and rooting against another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this and plan on reading it on my way to LA in a few weeks. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Emily Giffin and have been dying to read this book. So I am glad to see that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished this today, and was telling my friend exactly what you said. It is by far my favorite of hers. I am also holding out hope for a "Conrad side" book. So many places it can go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love emily giffin! So glad to hear it is a favorite of yours of all her books. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I was not planning on reading this book as I got really really turned off from this author after reading "Something Borrowed" as it bothered me that the main character basically justified cheating. And that is SO not ok in my book!! But it's good to know this character doesn't exhibit that type of behavior. I might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a big fan of Emily Giffen, but I do have the problem of not being able to relate to her characters like you said. I am happy to hear that with this one I won't have that problem! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by! I don't think I've read anything by her before, but I think I'll be making a trip to the library soon!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read and loved all of her books so I really need to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete