Sunday, July 17, 2011

In My Mailbox (16)

Every Sunday I think next week will be the one when I don't have anything to share for In My Mailbox. I've have a huge pile of books next to my bed to read, and have forbidden myself from spending any more money on new ones until I make some good headway. But even though I'm not spending money I still wind up with new books. I'm not complaining, although I have told myself I need at least 1 book free week before I can go shopping, but here are the books I have to share for these week edition of The Story Siren's In My Mailbox.
In My Mailbox
From My Mom
The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond
My mom bought this for me at a Borders closing sale. I'm a big fan of her blog and while I read her memoir a few months back I didn't have a copy of her cookbook. I have made a few recipes of hers in the past, although none from the actually cookbook, so I'm excited to give them a try. (And slightly unrelated at least to the book world, but she is going to have her own Food Network show later this fall, at least I think that's when it airs. I can't wait to watch it!)

The Secret of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig
My mom read this, enjoyed it, and figured I'd to the same. It is a series I've been meaning to pick up for a while, so I'm excited to finally get around to it!

Borrowed from a Friend
The Fallen: Aerie and Reckoning
The same friend that lent me the first in the Fallen collection last week lent me this one as well. Like the first I read which was really 2 books, this one is the 3rd and 4th in the series. I did read the first collection (review to be up later this week) and while I wasn't a huge fan, I've been told these ones are better and I'm still looking forward to going back to the series.

From Goodreads
A Long Long Sleep by Anna Sheenan
This is an uncorrected proof that due to be published this August. It is a YA dystopian, and sounds a bit like a retelling of Rip Van Winkle. I don't know a lot about it, but hopefully it's another one I'll enjoy.

That's it for me this week. We'll see if the next weekend is finally book free or if I'll be back participating yet again. In the meantime, what's in your mailbox this week?

8 comments:

  1. I keep hearing a lot of good things about The Secret of the Pink Carnation. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that a book 5 is going to be coming out for the Fallen series? It is on his website you should go and check it out.
    http://www.sniegoski.com/fallen/books.html

    Happy reading
    http://kristina-worldofbooks.blogspot.com/2011/07/in-my-mailbox-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pink Carnation has been on my to read list for awhile now. One day...Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love PW & had no idea she was going to be on cooking network. I am so excited! I have been wanting to get her cookbook, so definitely update us on how it works out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Secret of the Pink Carnation was good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books! I've heard really good things about The Pink Carnation series. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice mailbox this week. The Fallen looks like it would be a good book.
    Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love PW's cookbook! I got it for Christmas. I need to make more of her recipes but just havent gotten around to it. I just started "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. I loved the DaVinci Code and have finally gotten around to reading this.

    ReplyDelete