Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Pioneer Woman

Black Heels to Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond
I remember the first time I read Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. At the time it existed only online at The Pioneer Woman, and I was still living at my old apartment so it was over a year ago. I stumbled onto it in the last afternoon, and read throughout the night. I just couldn't stop until I finished and knew how the story would end.

The book, like the story on the blog, tells the tale of how Pioneer woman after her graduation from USC who is ready to move to Chicago, aka the land of Starbucks, instead finds herself falling in love with Marlboro Man, and rancher who lives in the middle of Oklahoma, aka no-Starbucks land. The book is the story on the blog, only slightly re-edited, plus in addition there's a third section that takes place over the first year of their marriage.

I was so excited to finally have a copy of the book so I could reread the story I loved, and also read the rest. Except I was a little disappointed. Instead of being captivated as I was the first time I read the book, it just didn't have the same hold over me. I don't necessary think it was because I was rereading a story; I've reread books over and over before and love them each time. Nor do I think it is a reflection of the story itself; I still do think it is an amazing love story.

Instead I think it was more that I knew that were new chapters, and all I really wanted to do was read them. I could have skipped ahead and only read what was new, except I felt that would be cheating.

If I was rating this book after the first time I read it, it would easily be a 5 out of 5. But knowing how I felt during this read I just can't justify that score. If you've never read this on the blog, you will absolutely love this story. But if you have, it might make sense to skip to the new stuff, that way the whole time it doesn't feel like you're reading something out of obligation just to get to the part you want to be at.

4/5

5 comments:

  1. I've never read her blog series (but I did kind of wonder how she could republish EXACTLY what she wrote on the blog in the book since SO MANY people have read the blog series!) but this book is on my to-read list and I can't wait to pick it up, I've heard fantastic things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked this up a couple weeks ago. I'm re-reading (AGAIN!) the Harry Potter series and just started the 5th book. It's my next book after the Harry Potter series is finished once more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just recently started keeping track of her blog on a regular basis once I discovered her cooking section. Her writing is good but doesn't draw me in the way other bloggers do.

    As for the whole "republishing your blog as a book" it seems to be pretty common. I know Dooce got a lot of flack for the same thing and without too much added on. Of course, if your whole life is on the blog then it's hard to make the book anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is on my to-read list too! I've read her blog a little bit, but never followed it daily to know enough about her story. It sounds like a good love story though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Pioneer Woman and have read the story on her blog! I havent decided whether to read the book or not but enjoyed your review!

    ReplyDelete