Thursday, March 24, 2011

This is a Special Circumstance

Specials by Scott Westerfeld
After being someone disappointed with Pretties, this was a little refreshing.
{Mild spoiler to come, although not that crazy considering the pattern of the previous books}
This book find Tally trapped again in her town except now, through operations, she's a member of Special Circumstance, which makes her a Special. But even more than that she's a special Special called a cutter.

At this point I'll stop and say the names for things were a little annoying and far to literal. I mean you're a little, and ugly, and new pretty, a middle pretty, etc. It would have been nice to see a little more creativity, but I do understand that using such names makes it so no further explanation is really needed.

My bug complaint about Pretties was that nothing seemed to happen for so long. This time the action took hold right from the get go. Yes, some of it felt repetitive from the first two books (they're escaping the city again!), but I would rather read this than listen to Tally go on as a special in her city.

That's another thing that bugged me was listening to Tally think as a special. I get why it's in there, but it's a little annoying to read. But at least it not as annoying as listening to her as a pretty.

I wasn't really happy with where Zane's story went with this book. Part of me understands how it helped Tally think herself out, but I think he deserved more. Plus I think it's a pretty cheap way to get out of a love triangle.

But I did like the ending itself. Knowing it was originally written as a trilogy I think it wrapped things up perfectly. Although I do know it's been extended. From the way Specials ended I don't think there needed to be more. But even so I'm curious enough to check out Extras.

3.5/5
(Of course on goodreads I can't go with half numbers, so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt there and bumping it up to a 4. But I don't think it matches up to some of my previous "4" reviews.)

No comments:

Post a Comment